PanelView plus mer files to apa files

realolman

I have read and followed some advice re: the conversion of .mer files back to .apa files and it does seem to work.

My question is about the few things that are NOT recovered.

I am very hesitant to download files to any equipment, knowing there is something missing. The fact that there are apparently a few things not recovered gives me the heebie jeebies.

Exactly what is not recovered, how important is it, and what do you do about it?

I have read and followed some advice re: the conversion of .mer files back to .apa files and it does seem to work.

My question is about the few things that are NOT recovered.

I am very hesitant to download files to any equipment, knowing there is something missing. The fact that there are apparently a few things not recovered gives me the heebie jeebies.

Exactly what is not recovered, how important is it, and what do you do about it?
Not having a pdf/KB or anything here I know for a fact that ALARMS are not recovered.
Also, parameter files you may have created.
I'm sure there's one more item but can't recall right now (users and passwords???).
Search the aB knowledge base, you'll find a few tech notes with a description of what is NOT recovered when converting an mer to apa IF you follow their procedure (which used to be top secret by the way)
Another thing to be aware of is what version (4.0-5.0, etc) you work with as during the cenverting process 5.0 handles things differently than 4.0

Thanks I appreciate your response.

I still don't know whether these missing files are important or what to do about them though.:unsure:

Version 5.0 has a recovery built into the application manager, it should convert the files without issues, HOWEVER in the office we have had problems where parameter files don't all convert correctly, the are listed, but the text in the actual individual files may be missing characters. RA can't seem to re-create the problem.

4.0 apps can be recovered using the mentioned method but the alarm setup will and parameter files will not be recovered. IF you have an outdated .apa you could bring those into the project to get pretty close.

Thanks I appreciate your response.

I still don't know whether these missing files are important or what to do about them though.:unsure:
Passing parameters is important as is the alarm text.
You can re-create both but takes time and effort as well as some serious investigating and understanding the code.