Upload from a PanelView 550 HELP!!!

jthornton

I am trying to upload from a PanelView 550 to my PC using the 2711-NC13 cable and PanelBuilder 32. I can not figure out how to communicate with the PV. I have tried every option in PanelBuilder...
I know I am missing something simple...

The PV is normally connected to a SLC 5/03 on the lower port. And the programming cable has worked in the past. I tried the customers PC as well as my PC to no end. The customer said that the last time they tried to communicate with the PV the AB rep had to d/l a file to their computer before it would work....

Also it is configured for DH-485 communications on the configuration screen.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Need more info...

Are you using RSlinx? If so you need to use the PIC/AIC driver.

With limited resources here at home I can't tell you which cable to use.

The lead is correct (2,3,5 straight) - the PLC programming lead is basically the same, but with 2 + 3 crossed over.

What version of Linx are you using and what OS on your PC? - Have been issues in the past with the PIC driver in Linx running Win2K or XP.

Can you see the PV550 when you do a 'RSWho' in Linx? It's always easier to start there - make sure your Linx is happy, then Panelbuilder, Rslogix etc tend to be fairly easy to configure (they only look at what Linx is doing anyway).

Rob

If you can see it in RSWho you can upload from it. The lower port on a SLC503 is usually (by default) configured as DF1, whereas you say the PV is a DH485. Confirm first what the port is configured as (RSLogix & channel configuration)
If it is DF1 then set up the DF1 driver in Linx.
If it is DH485 then set up the PIC driver.
I can never remember which cable to use but it is either the 1747-CP3 (standard AB SLC programming cable) or a normal serial cable. I just plug either in until I can see the PV in RSWho.
I also then find it better to keep Linx running but close the who window and then start panelbuilder. Under File select the upload option which will bring up a linx window where you select the PV you wish to upload from. Make sure you dont upload over an existing file. Good luck. Alan Case

Re: Need more info...

93lt1 said:
Are you using RSlinx? If so you need to use the PIC/AIC driver.

With limited resources here at home I can't tell you which cable to use.

I'm using the 2711-NC13 cable.

I assumed the PIC driver was for the PIC module! banghead

I will try that this morning.

Thanks

Kidblue said:
The lead is correct (2,3,5 straight) - the PLC programming lead is basically the same, but with 2 + 3 crossed over.

What version of Linx are you using and what OS on your PC? - Have been issues in the past with the PIC driver in Linx running Win2K or XP.

Can you see the PV550 when you do a 'RSWho' in Linx? It's always easier to start there - make sure your Linx is happy, then Panelbuilder, Rslogix etc tend to be fairly easy to configure (they only look at what Linx is doing anyway).

Rob

No I can't see the PV in RSWho.
Windows 98, I also had trouble with Windows 2000 and the PIC driver at my office.

I think my problem is that I AssUmed that the PIC driver was only for the PIC module and that I needed to use a DH-485 driver... banghead

Thanks for the reply
John

Gday John

Try leaving the panelview plugged into the slc and plug your pc into a port on the slc. Using rslinx and the comms setup you would normally use to talk to your slc, you should now see both the slc and the pv550. If so, open up panelbuilder and upload.

TimeFluxCap said:
Gday John

Try leaving the panelview plugged into the slc and plug your pc into a port on the slc. Using rslinx and the comms setup you would normally use to talk to your slc, you should now see both the slc and the pv550. If so, open up panelbuilder and upload.

Gday Mate

I tried that and I could not see the PV in RSWho only the SLC.

The PV is plugged into the bottom port of the 5/03 and it is configured for DH-485...

I think that I understand why I could not do a point to point communication with the PV as I assumed that the PIC driver was for the PIC module only.

Thanks for the Reply

Alan Case said:
If you can see it in RSWho you can upload from it. The lower port on a SLC503 is usually (by default) configured as DF1, whereas you say the PV is a DH485. Confirm first what the port is configured as (RSLogix & channel configuration)
If it is DF1 then set up the DF1 driver in Linx.
If it is DH485 then set up the PIC driver.
I can never remember which cable to use but it is either the 1747-CP3 (standard AB SLC programming cable) or a normal serial cable. I just plug either in until I can see the PV in RSWho.
I also then find it better to keep Linx running but close the who window and then start panelbuilder. Under File select the upload option which will bring up a linx window where you select the PV you wish to upload from. Make sure you dont upload over an existing file. Good luck. Alan Case

I did find out the cable in one of the manuals and it is the 2711-NC13 cable for PV550 to PC communications. Channel 0 System and Channel 1 System ports on the 5/03 are configured for DH-485 and the Channel 0 User port is shut down. I do think that My lack of understanding that the PIC driver was for DH-485 communications is the problem. Anyhow I will find out in a little while...

Thanks for the reply

Yhe pic driver is misunderstood in that sense. The following info may not be technically correct but when the lower port is configured for DH485 there is a circuit bought into play in the SLC that simulates the PIC box. This means you can plug into the lower port using a 1747-cp3 cable and can communicate using a pic driver but not the pic itself.
To the post re viewing the dh485 connection from the top port, I am pretty sure that pass thru is not available on the 503 to allow this. Regards Alan Case

Just a thought......

Alot of times in the past, I've had to connect serially and would forget to transfer the serial port from printer mode to transfer mode...

Post and let us know how things turn out..

I couldn't get pass through to work but I did get PIC driver to work fine. Who whould have thunk that the PIC driver was a RS-485 driver for the PV.... just getting back in from the factory...

Thanks for all the help... youse guys are the greatest bunch in the world....

Thanks
John

The Auxiliary port (232) when present, on the PV's can be set to either 'Download' or 'Print' (when connecting a serial printer for alarm messages etc). This is not used as the main comms port.

PV 600

FYI

I was told that on my PV 600 (touch only) with RS232 and DH485 that I can not disable the printer for communication. I will need to use the PIC device or net-aic or another communication card that I can't remember.

Thanks,
Bob