Funky Slc Addressing

The Plc Kid

I have a panelview 1000 touch application. I am trying to find where a value comes from in the plc program.

In panelbuilder 32 if I edit my numeric display tag I have an address of N253:35 and if I look in the cross ref of my plc program which is a slc 5/04 OS401 I only see the ranges displayed like this N253:0/6 and I do not see N:253:35 at all.

I have changed the address display option in rslogix 500 to every combo you can have and these addresses do not seem to change the plc and the panelview communicate by RIO and most of the comms is on a block transfer.

What am I doing wrong? This is my first stab at RIO so I maybe overlooking something?

It is referencing the word rather than just a bit.

So N253:35 would consist of N253:35/0, N253:35/1, ans so on. If you do a search for N253:35 it should show you all the word and bit references unless they are using indirect addressing. Then it is a bit trickey to figure out where it is.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it sort of sounds like you have the radix of the N235 file set to "binary" Try changing the Radix on the N235 file to "Decimal".

I believe the address display option only changes the way the addresses are displayed on the rungs of your files, and has no effect on the way the addresses are diplayed in the files under "Cross Reference"

I guess that should be the N253 file, my bad!

And since you mentioned RIO, you triggered the one memory I have of dealing with remote I/O addressing via RIO.

On the schematics if the remote scanner card was in slot 14, the addressing for Input 3 on the card in slot 2 of the remote chasis would be:

I:14.2/3

But in the HMI (or maybe RSLogix - memory fails me), this was addressed as:

I:14/35

After a little head scratching, I finally realized that

I:14.0/0 to I:14.0/15 = I:14/0 - I:14/15
I:14.1/0 to I:14.1/15 = I:14/16 - I:14/31
I:14.2/0 to I:14.2/15 = I:14/32 - I:14/47

Or

(Remote_Slot * 16) + Input_Number

panelview communicate by RIO and most of the comms is on a block transfer.

When RIO block transfers are involved, the addressing on the PanelView might not be related to the addressing in the SLC.

Here's why: the PanelView gets block transfer requests that are addressed to a particular Rack, Group, and Slot, and have a specific Length.
That's all the PanelView or PanelBuilder32 software knows about the block transfer.

The SLC-500 data table address where the block transfer data originated or is targeted to..... the PanelView has no idea what that might be.

To try to keep these data linked together, PanelBuilder32 tries to correlate the source controller's data files with the Block Transfers by letting you enter N-file numbers in the RIO configuration. These are the addresses you use inside the PanelView.

But they are NOT necessarily the correct ones. I could call my files N10, N11, N12 in the PanelView but they could come from N23 and N54 and N15 in the SLC or PLC.

Examine and note the addressing of the BTR and BTW instructions in your SLC and correlate them to the PanelBuilder32 application configuration. That should help you make sense of the data transfer.

PB32_RIO.PNG