OP 17 rebooting itself every 25 seconds

doyletuttle

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a prolblem. I have 2 OP 17 and both of them keep rebooting themselves after about 25 seconds. I have tried different configirations and can't seem to get around this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't think of this happening to me but, is it a new installation? Has anything changed? Have they both got the same network address (If they are on the same network?)
Do they do it if you disconnect them from the plc? Does it stop if you unplug one of them?

It's a single application with a CPU-312 at MPI address 2 and the OP 17 is on the MPI network with an address of 1. The OP's are both used. I had the problem with the first one, so I installed the second one and it does the same thing. I even changed the power source thinking that maybe that was the problem. The OP does have a new program installed. Thanks for any info.

I am not sure about this one, but you should be able to select "Offline" or unplug the 9 pin d connector. Does it still do it now?
Does the op cycle if it is simply powered up on the bench?
Are there any warning messages? Normally Siemens screens say something like "Establishing contact with plc address2".
How far away are they? - You can go to 50m with MPI (Although I have pushed that before)
Lastly, do they share the same 24v supply?

Last edited:
If I unplug the PLC connection then it will say "Establishing contact with Plc Address 2", and it will not reboot. It will just flicker that message. Once I plug in the cable to the PLC is when it will reboot itself.
I have tried 2 different power supplies on each OP and the same result.
Thanks in advance.

I sounds like some kind of wiring fault. That's why I asked if the op and plc had the same 24vdc supply.

Is it a system you have just built, or one which was working but suddenly stopped?

I use Siemens profibus (2 core) cable with the plugs that have terminating resistors in them (Switched to "On")to connect between them.

You could try disconnecting the data lead from the plc end. Does the plc run, or do you get any fault leds?

My dear dog - currently sitting underneath my pc - once decided to chew my vga lead - and there was me blaming my led monitor!

Last edited:
If I unplug the PLC connection then it will say "Establishing contact with Plc Address 2", and it will not reboot. It will just flicker that message. Once I plug in the cable to the PLC is when it will reboot itself.
I have tried 2 different power supplies on each OP and the same result.
Thanks in advance.
Since it only reboots when the PLC comms cable is plugged in, I'd check the cable for any shorts or miswiring.
I assume a draining issue or short to the pins may cause this, not sure, just a suggestion.

The program that was before on the OP17 was that working fine in combination with the 312 cpu over the MPI connection or is this a new installation?

Did you configure the MPI connection in S7 with Netpro and after that download the hardware configuration to the 312 cpu?

Regards
Henny

The cpu-312 has been configured with a MPI address of 2, and the OP is at address 1 using NetPro it all looks good. I have no plc faults and the plc is good with or without the OP. Both are used OP's from de-commissioned equipement and the old program or the new program both do the same thing on both OP's. I will try a new cable today. I had switched around different cables to no avail, but I will make up a new profibus cable like stated above and make sure that the terminating switching are both on. Thanks for all the help and I will report back.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I figured out the problem. In the controller tab in protool, I had the mpi baud rate set at 19,200. I changed it to 187.5 and the OP is now good. Again, thanks for all your help.