first time with a micrologix 1500 - some basic questions

basicbill

Hi all,
I have an interesting situation that I'm dealing with.
About 10 years ago my company purchased 3 - Micrologix 1500 with 3 copies of RSLogix.

These were never installed.

Recently, for testing, I have mounted the plc's and installed the software and successfully transferred the activation key. I had to find a usb floppy drive to accomplish that. (I have since got them onto usb flash drives for reliability)

Anyway, my software versions are...
RSLogix 500 is 2. 57. 0. 0
RSLinx Lite is 2.00.97.30

I am connecting with the serial cable to my HP docking station / laptop (WinXP SP3).

I have several questions.
First, I am using the RS232 DF1 devices driver ........ is this the correct one?

When I auto configure it picks up my workstation and also an 'unrecognized device' .... which I take as the ML1500.

I'm thinking the software needs to be updated so I went to Rockwell and found that they offer an update but I have to download 98 files. What is that all about?

Communication has to be my first priority so any help on that front would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my experience is all on GE Fanuc 90-30's so I'm pretty well a newbie on the AB.

tia.

First, I am using the RS232 DF1 devices driver ........ is this the correct one?

YES

Communication has to be my first priority so any help on that front would be greatly appreciated.

YES,

I would not update RSLogix first... (even though you should) first update RSLinx, you can get Linx lite for free see here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=46036

Then try it again to see if you can communicate, once you get it to work or you still have issues then update RSlogix

Wow....that worked better! I really wasn't looking forward to d/l'ing 98 cab files!

I now have a functioning and current version RSLinx.

Tomorrow, back at work, I should be able to test it out very quickly.

I'll let you know how I make out and if I encounter any more difficulties that I can't handle.

many thanks!

Well, I'm back at work and the current version of RSLinx worked beautifully. It immediately picked up the ML1500.

So, I opened RSLogix500 and <file> <new> gave me no option for the 1500. The closest configuration available is the ML1000. So I tried that.
A simple one rung program .... xoff and output....to test operation and I tried to go online to store to the PLC.

My next error is 'No response from processor at selected node'.

Since RSLinx autoconfigured and seems to be working, and I am unable to find a ML1500 configuration in RSLogix 500 (version 2. 57. 0. 0), would the next step be to update the programming software?

If so, could I ask for a link?

Many thanks. I feel I'm almost there!

To get an update of your RSLogix500 software you will need a tech connect software support contract. Contact your local Allen Bradley distributor and they can set you up. Just get the basic tech connect, they are inexpensive and a single contract will actually allow you to update all three software licenses.

Last time I downloaded Logix500 (version 8), it was a single file.

Yeah, you most likely have to update the RSLogix500. Just for comparison, I'm running version 8.10 on my pc.

It very likely won't be free. Time to call your Rockwell distributor and get them involved. Explain your situation, and see what they can do for you. One option is to buy a new copy of RSLogix500. But a cheaper alternative may be to buy a support contract, then the upgrade is free.

I thought the free download of the RSLogix Micro software included all of the ML family.

please don’t let me muddy the waters, but I’m just curious about something ...

About 10 years ago my company purchased 3 - Micrologix 1500 with 3 copies of RSLogix. These were never installed.

my question: if the stuff (the hardware and the software) was all purchased at the same time, it seems that although it is now “old” - it SHOULD still match up and work together ... in other words, the old hardware and the old software would have worked back then (presumably) ... and so the same old hardware and the same old software should (my best guess) still work together now ...

now I’m wholeheartedly in favor of upgrading everything (just because) – but I’m just wondering why this stuff isn’t up and running ...

to Bob O ...

I haven’t tried it myself – but I think that the “free” download software only works with MicroLogix 1000 and MicroLogix 1100 ... the 1500 is (I think) a “no go” situation ... others will either confirm that or correct me ...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information.
Just to clarify, the equipment and software was purchased 10+ years ago and I think the ML1500 was a pretty new device.
The original software could not have worked....because it didn't work when I installed and connected it 2 days ago. Everything I installed was original h/w and s/w. I think I would have needed a software update even back then.

Had we installed these plc's back then we probably could have (and certainly should have) gotten a software upgrade to make them function together.

I did a lot of prelim reading on this site and I too, understood that the free download would not work for the 1500.

That said, it appears that the only way to obtain software that will work is to pay for it, with either of the two options previously suggested.

Thanks for all your input and if you have any more info, please continue to post.

tia

I think I am getting confused since they release software that you can purchase just for the Micro family.

eventually you’re (almost certainly) going to have to make the purchase through your local Allen-Bradley distributor ... if you don’t know who that company is, you can probably “find a distributor” on the www.ab.com website ...

when you phone them, you’ll probably get an “inside sales rep” who’ll ask you what part number you want to order ... if you’ll ask for the “PLC Support technician” they should be able to help with all of your questions ...

basic idea: the MicroLogix 1500 does NOT allow “online programming” ... if you’re planning to stick with that one (or with other similar processors), then the software you want is commonly called the RSLogix500 “Starter Pack” ... if the price you get quoted is around $500 or $600 then that’s the one you want ... if the price you get quoted is much higher – or much lower – then post again (with the part number they give you) and we’ll try to help you sort it out ...

specifically, the RSLogix500 package that sells for about $1200 is overkill (in your case) ... it handles ONLINE programming – which your MLX-1500 doesn’t support anyway ...

This is a brochure for the recently released RSLogix Micro versions.
There are two variations of it, and the differences are described.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/9324m-pp001_-en-p.pdf

Note that the Micro version is different than the RSLogix 500 Starter edition. It is only for use with the Micrologix family and appears to support all of them, but won't work with the SLC line.

Since you already have a full (but outdated) version of RSLogix, you might be better off simply upgrading it by getting a tech connect contract.

Then you'll have a full version that will work with the SLC and Micrologix line.

Since you already have a full (but outdated) version of RSLogix, you might be better off simply upgrading it by getting a tech connect contract.

exactly ... which is one of the first questions you should ask your distributor ...

just don't ask for the "Starter Package" and let it go at that ... many people refer to the FREE download package as a "Starter Package" ... be sure to look at the price ...

I noticed in your original post that your laptop has XP SP3.
I just loaded a new version of RSLogix 500 (8.10.00) and it supports
XP SP2 and Vista SP1. Don't know if it is related to your issue but I would expect problems.

Last edited: