How to configure the connection between S5 U135 and PC in Step5

hoahongbach

I use the direct TTY cable to connect between CPU S5 and PC. Can anyone tell me how to make the configuration for the connection in Step5.Thank you

Not sure about using the existing PG-port to connecto to a PC, but you will need a seperate communication card,
to connect to a PC.

If I understand correctly, you are trying to make Step 5 software connect to your S5-135U? What version of Step 5 do you have? If you have the Siemens TTY converter cable and a standard 9-pin serial port on your PC, it should be very simple.

thank you for your reply. I am trying to make Step5 connect to S5 sothat i can see it is online in Step 5. I am using Step5 Version 6 and using Siemens TTY converter cable and 9 pin serial port PC. So what should i do in Step 5 to make the connection?Wait your help urgently. Thanks in advanced!

Guten Tag...I am using 7.17 (the final release, I think). Version 6 is different, so I am going by memory. I believe you open the software, then you have the menu headings "FILE", "EDITOR", "TEST" etc...and in one of the menus should be the selection to "connect" or "go online". Try leaving the comm settings at their defaults. After you get a connection, you will have to transfer all the blocks from "PLC" to "PROGRAM FILE" (under the FILE, BLOCKS, TRANSFER). If you aren't properly connected, the "PLC" option will be greyed out. Back up your program file (the S5D file) once you get it. Once you get an offline program, you can open a block and monitor online from "TEST", "BLOCK STATUS". Good luck!

Check this out...you should be able to find it in German, too if you look around the website.
https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.automation.siemens.com/dnl/TAzMjc1NQAA_1175533_HB/STEP5_v65_%28e%29_OCR.pdf

Last edited:
Open Step5 - FILE -> PROJECT -> SET Tab 1 Should give you the MODE use F3(Function Key 3 to toggle between online and offline) When Online hit enter then Go to the menu item TEST -> Block Status and enter the block # you want to monitor - start with OB1
Not sure that is the problem you are having....

Thanks all of you.I have try Project - Settings-Page 2 and test Mode with F3 but still it shows offline with message "PLC timeout". Today i just saw the TTY cable is in use not from Siemens but from Process Informatik. do i need some driver for this cable?

You are in the right place. Probably no driver required, for DOS software. Not familiar with this cable. If the cable is correct and not damaged, you should be able to connect. Make sure the PC port is not being used by something else. Make sure you are plugged in to the PG port on the PLC. Make sure your Step5 interface setting is "AS511". You can also contact Siemens Tech Support. They can be very helpful, especially in Germany and the USA.
http://www.siemens.com/automation/support-request