Communication between SLC 500 and SLC 5000

Whats so general about it, i wanna get the data from bit B3 in the SLC 500 plc to a tag in SLC 5000. You want me to state it 10 other ways too? To make it less general.

What SLC500 do you have. ( SLC5/01,02,03,04,05?) There is no SLC5000.
Do you mean ControlLogix, CompactLogix,FlexLogix?
How far apart are the controllers?

SLC 500 (5/04) and Control Logix 5000 (5562). They communicating on the same network. Not sure exactly how far away, maybe 75 yards away from each other.

Wait a minute! Okie is trying to help you and you cop an attitude? Your question is WAY too general to get a specific answer that you can implement. What model SLC? What communication protocol are you using? What ControlLogix communication modules do you have? You can't expect a resonable response to general questions as yours.

You DID cop an attitude first! And you still haven't given enough information for a specific answer. What kind of communication protocal are you using. We are not mind readers.

OK, I'll give it a try...

You have your hardware in front of you and a lot of information we don't have.

By your 3rd message you finally mentioned that it is a SLC 5/04. Thre are at least four different networks available on SLC processors. The SLC 5/04 usually communicates via DH+. The ControlLogix is also on the DH+? Using a 1756-DHRIO card maybe? Or you could have an ethernet converter on the serial port of the SLC 5/04, we don't know.

Basically, your question is too general for a reasonable answer. No one is going to take the time to write an answer to every possible configuration. Besides, that's available in the manual. If you want an answer tailored to your problem, do a better job describing the problem.

At this point, the answer is still very general. You can probably use a message.

Good luck

So the logic used will change if i use DH+ vs. Ethernet? They are communicating over ethernet. I dont know what the SLC has exactly, im assuming its a 1756-DHRIO.

SLC 5/04 talks DH+. Your CLX will require a DH-RIO module. Once you have a DH+ network established you can use a MSG write instruction in your CLX PLC or a MSG read instruction in your SLC5/04 to transfer the data. I recommend you use the MSG read instruction in the SLC since reads have a lower overhead. There are examples in AB's knowledgebase that show you step by step how to set it up.

When asking for help, it seems to me to be just common decency to put some effort into the original question so that other forum members who are spending their time giving you free help don't have to waste some of that time asking you questions back before we can answer your question... but thats just me, maybe the rules of common decency changed and someone didn't tell me.

Thanks for the answer. I didnt know it was that critical to post all that info or i would have. If Okies response was what mickey said the whole trolling **** woulda been avoided.

How is the SLC 5/04 communicating to the ethernet? (Note: It doesn't natively communicate via ethernet...)

Please give us the whole path from SLC5/04 to CLX. Every step, every device, every converter, every module.

The SLC does NOT have a 1756-DHRIO -- that's a CLX module. So please check everything and give us accurate, complete information if you want accurate, complete answers.

Okie's answer was correct based on the information you gave in the first post. Yes, they can communicate - but it may or may not be "nicely" depending on the actual hardware you have.

So, before you go slamming on Okie, consider what he had to work with.