1747-l40l problem

pjc539

Hey everyone, This is my first post. Ive been an industrial electrician for about 5 years. I worked at a older sawmill for most of that time, we didn't use plcs there, so i never really got any training on them. I recently moved to Virginia and got hired at a large modern distribution center. Ive been playing around with AB plcs for about a year now and have learned alot on programming. I bought a laptop, a slc500 1747-l40l ser. b plc, and a 1747-pic. I have a copy of rslogix5 ver 5.50.00. im trying to get the thing to go online but keep getting Unknown Prossecor Type error. what am i doing wrong

Thanks
Paul

Greetings Paul ...

welcome to the forum ... you didn't give us much to work with - but here's a "guess" to get you started ...

in RSLinx - what driver are you using? ... (should be 1747-PIC) ...

also ... (BIG QUESTION OF THE DAY!) ... do you have the PIC module plugged into a real-honest-to-goodness serial port on your computer? ... secret handshake: if it's a USB-to-serial adapter instead, the PIC will NOT work ...

give us more information and we'll try some more ... or ... if you DO have a real serial port available, you can give me a call and I'll try to walk you through it ... I'm pretty well "typed out" for today ...

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong software

For 1747 (SLC 500) you need RsLogix 500 software.

RSlogix 5 software is for PLC-5 processors

well, it COULD be worse ...

just some advice ... before you rush out and buy a copy of RSLogix500 that will support your SLC-500 “fixed” processor (about $550), consider this ...

Allen-Bradley now graciously allows you to download a FREE version of RSLogix500 that will work with the newer MicroLogix 1000 platform ...

basic idea: it MIGHT be cheaper (and much better in the long run) to buy a MicroLogix 1000 (and a communication cable) than to buy a copy of the software that will support your present processor ... (specifically, the FREE software will not work with any of the SLC processors) ...

best plan of attack: tell us what you’ve got in mind BEFORE you spend any money ... we’ll be glad to help you figure out which pieces of the puzzle will fit together best ...

good luck with your project ...

I'll have to look around at work and see what i can find as far as plc-5 parts, the slc 500s came out of a couple of cardboard compactors that we tore out, they had there own programing terminals.

Another question, if i got rslogix 500 wold i be able the connect with plc-5 processors or would i still need Rslogix 5 for them.

Thanks
Paul

Time Flies - Move onward and upward

just some advice ... before you rush out and buy a copy of RSLogix500 that will support your SLC-500 “fixed” processor (about $550), consider this ...

Allen-Bradley now graciously allows you to download a FREE version of RSLogix500 that will work with the newer MicroLogix 1000 platform ...

basic idea: it MIGHT be cheaper (and much better in the long run) to buy a MicroLogix 1000 (and a communication cable) than to buy a copy of the software that will support your present processor ... (specifically, the FREE software will not work with any of the SLC processors) ...

best plan of attack: tell us what you’ve got in mind BEFORE you spend any money ... we’ll be glad to help you figure out which pieces of the puzzle will fit together best ...

good luck with your project ...

I agree with Ron,
If you are doing this on your own, download the free RSLogix Micro Starter Lite which only supports a limited amount of hardware, such as: 1763–ML1100 and 1761-ML1000. Then spring for that hardware, this is spending good dollars on a forward thinking platform. Good learning environment.

If your company has legacy PLC-5 and SLC-500 product, it will probalby run without error exceeding the life of the equipment. If yor company needs service for that equipment, then resurect (and pay for) old versions of RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 on thier dime.

The life cycle of the PLC used to be very slow, but now they are moving faster in pace with the advancements in PC processors.

I think i am gonna go with the starter lite and look for hardware on ebay or something, AB must've upgraded their demo software i thought it used to only support the L10s, thanks for all the help, im sure ill have more questions