How do I add a new flexlogix card using Controlnet?

tomalbright

I have had to add a card to an existing system. From the "word I got", all I had to do was add the card using the controlnet software editor, and then reload the hardware only (channel config?) into the PLC5/80C. Well, surprise! It doesn't work.

I do not have a Controlnet card for my laptop. The PLC DOES have the correct file name in the properties. What am I missing? I'm about to do a total load to the PLC, which I really detest out here due to operational difficulties, but I can do it if need be.

I really need to understand how this operates. Trying to find the Controlnet manual, but thought someone might have a quick answer to this.

Whoah, be careful there.

Working with PLC-5C15 controllers, you absolutely need a ControlNet interface card to modify the ControlNet configuration. The ControlNet "plug" inside the PLC-5C15 has to get its ControlNet schedule and configuration from the network, not from the PLC-5 program.

You can use a 1784-PCC card for a laptop, a 1784-PCIC for a desktop, a new 1784-U2CN USB interface, or bridge across from ControlLogix using a 1756-CNB module. But you cannot connect to a PLC-5C15 using DH+ or Ethernet and configure the ControlNet.

I assume you're not actually integrating a FlexLogix controller, but rather adding a new FLEX I/O module or a new 1794-ACNR15 adapter to the network.

Can you describe more about the system ?

Upon a closer look... is this an old PLC-5C Phase 1.25 controller, using 6200-PLC5 software to configure the ControlNet ?

My memory is a little hazy on that, but I think you still need to be connected to the ControlNet to configure the ControlNet.

It's a PLC5-80C, using ACN cards with flexlogix io attached to them. Using RSLogix software for everything. I assume a newer version, as in 5 years old or so... let me check: PLC5/80C 1.5, series F.

Do I need the PCC card? All the addresses are defined in the RSNetworx software, nothing new is added except this one card.

...looking at the user manual, it isn't very clear. There's references to having the right configuration file so the PLC can load channel 2 correctly, so it DOES look like it loads from the xc file. Mine isn't.

The card is an OE, and there is no output. The PLC software seems to be working fine, there is an output showing at the module address.