I-fix License ?

SingerChemE

Does anyone know if you have to have a server license for a network? I have a plant that wants to have two workstations/clients and is wondering if they need to have a server license or if can they just have the application running on two client licenses? One client machine would be beefier so that they could use it for historian and alarm logging.

Thanks,
SingerChemE

It's been a while since I used iFix, but I believe that an iClient cannot talk to the PLC by itself. They can only get their data from the iFix node with the Database and I/O driver installed (the SCADA).

I'm thinking that you would need a SCADA license on one of the machines.

Don't know about Ifix, but the old Fix32 licenses worked this way.
You had to have one SCADA license, then one "view" license per client. The clients all got there data from the SCADA database. So all tags had to reside on the SCADA, the clients do not have data bases, so it doesn't make sense to have a separate historian on the clients, they can access the historian on the SCADA.

I agree with that ken, our latest system has two dongles one for the master & another for the client node.
The client uses the database on the master this way you don't need to have more than one copy of the database, the only thing is if it is a very large system then the client is a bit slow on loading screens etc.