WinCC - requirements/performance

stuza

Hey guys

Having been tasked with finding some possible clients to run WinCC I have worked out that I will need to run the full client and some running the web client. I have had a look at the web page that details the minimum requirements for both (http://www.automation.siemens.com/hmi/html_76/products/software/wincc/requirements.htm) and it raised a couple of questions that I hope your able to help with?

1. The web client seems to suggest that it requires 10gig of disk storage. This seems a little high for a web client, is this accurate? I am thinking that we may put this on mini-laptops/netbooks and so minimal disk space may be available.
2. How graphics dependant are both clients? Would an integrated chipset be sufficient to run these or would it be very beneficial to use a laptop that has a dedicated graphics chipset?
3. Has either client been tested on the new Intel Atom chips? (this is important to help decide if a netbook is an option)
4. I have heard concerns over running the full client over wifi and that it can be a little sluggish, have you experienced this? Would you advise it or suggest a cabled link only?
5. Has WinCC any issues running from a solid state disk?
6. In your opinion, whats the single most important pc component to ensure smooth running of WinCC full client? Would it be to have 2>gig of ram (maybe 4 or even 6/8?), fast processor, graphics card or even network connection?

I appreciate there are a few questions here and so any response to any part or even all of these would be really appreciated!

Sorry, also, one last question: Has the webclient been tested by anyone on a WinMob/PocketPC device using Opera and Java?

Before you go any further, we need to know whether you really mean WinCC (Ver. 6.x) or whether you really mean WinCC Flexible 200x.

The data you quote above sounds much more like Flexible than WinCC. Despite the similarity of the names (thank you, Siemens!) these are two radically different programs. WinCC has it's roots in the mid-90s and therefore has appropriately lower requirements.

Before you go any further, we need to know whether you really mean WinCC (Ver. 6.x) or whether you really mean WinCC Flexible 200x.

The data you quote above sounds much more like Flexible than WinCC. Despite the similarity of the names (thank you, Siemens!) these are two radically different programs. WinCC has it's roots in the mid-90s and therefore has appropriately lower requirements.

:confused:

Do you work with both? Because winCC and low requirements should not be in the same sentance, while winCC Flex needs some power to be edited, but runtime works on 500Mhz like a charm...

WinCC 7.0 is demanding on the server side, but not so much on the client WebNavigator.. WiFi will be ok if you can "afford" some glitches once in a while.. (but it works nice).

Last edited:
As mentioned guys, this is for WinCC 7 - the full client and the webclient. Not sure what this Flex thing is, never used it and it won't be used for this project.

For the webclient, im thinking we may deploy a couple of Netbooks with SSD's running XP.... what you think? Anyone any experience of this setup?