MP277 & S7 questions

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
MP277 - Is there a way of loading the WinCC flex 2008 project without a laptop .. say via usb drive or MMC card?
Looking at this to be able to support screens at a remote customer who is refusing to allow VPN into the facility. I dont believe there is but I am interested to find out.

S7 - Basic question but my brain is over tired this week.

I was looking at an old program written bu someone else which had extensive use of set/reset (which i dont like) of stat variables within an FB.
When the Set or Reset is active, and I am monitoring, what is the highlighted state?

Say stat is called #stat1

Set #stat1 - I know the S is highlighted when logic '1'

Reset #stat1 - Is the R highlighted when logic is '1' or '0'?

I should have switched to STL and found my own answer

Cheers

Ladder logic:

S highlighted, bit is True.
R highlighted, bit is False.
At that point in the program at least.

Not familiar with the MP277, but it should be possible.
There is a Restore/Back-up function available within the CE Control Panel. Might be what you are looking for.

Yes, you can use an SD card to load a project into the MP277. You would download the project to an MP277 at your site. Then use the "Backup/Restore" applet in the WinCE Control Panel to write (or backup) the project to the SD card. You can send the SD card your customer and have him use the "Backup/Restore" applet to restore the project to the MP277. When I do this, I have my customer backup the MP277 to a blank SD card first - just in case we need to go back to the original version.

I was thinking about the Set and Reset instruction question. I think if the bit is set (true), then both the S and R instructions will be highlighted green. If the bit is reset (false), then the S and R will not be highlighted.

example.jpg

There is also the "pack and go" utility. It allows you to create a zip file with the image without having to upload it from a similar panel.
A maint on on the site can then load the image from the zip image onto the target panel by means of a tool.
Not sure if this came with 2008 or 2008+SP1.
Important: The firmware version must match on the panel.

Thanks to all for replies

So, to confirm, the hightlight of the set/reset is highlighted when the actual bit is '1' regardless of the instruction. That is what I would have expected.

The SD card /Pack and go is ideal for my purposes I will check it out, I have a panel here for another job I will test it on first. Firmware is OK because I updated that a few months back on the site.

Cheers

Jesper,
I had not heard of the "pack and go" utility and I am interested. I just checked and it is a new WinCC Flex 2008 SP1 enhancement. The "What's New" manual does not explain the connection or transfer process on the transfer PC. I will have to look for further information on that. Thanks for pointing that out.

One other thing; I have zipped the entire contents of an SD card and e-mailed them to a customer who unzipped them onto another SD card and use the restore function successfully. The important part was to make sure the hidden files were copied too.

Just to be precise:
Prosave can create an image file by means of a similar panel. You can then use Prosave to load the image file to another similar panel.
Backup/Restore is a function on the panel itself to create an image on a flash card. The image can then be restored onto another similar panel.
Pack and Go is a new utility for WinCC Flex that creates an image file on the configuration PC - without the need for a flash card or a similar panel. The image file can then be loaded onto the target panel by means of a Transfer tool.

Imi'ike, it is described pretty well in the online help. Just search for "pack".
I have not had to actually use it yet.

Yes the way you describe it, is also a way to do it.
The new thing is that you dont have to have a spare panel just to make the image file.

There is also the "pack and go" utility. It allows you to create a zip file with the image without having to upload it from a similar panel.
A maint on on the site can then load the image from the zip image onto the target panel by means of a tool.
Not sure if this came with 2008 or 2008+SP1.
Important: The firmware version must match on the panel.
Seems like this is only on SP1
but does this require re uploading the firmware to the panel from winncc flex 2008 SP1 or will the firmware from 2008 non sp1 still be ok to run the image?
as you have do when re downloading from flex 2008 to a panel which has a project on it created with flex 2007

Last edited:
That seems to be yet another method. For when there is no Prosave present in the plant. However, you can download Prosave for free, and especially with panels that have ethernet ports, I think that it is actually easier than using flash cards.