Controllogix code libraries

buckian

Hello,

I have a project to program the logic for a small process plant. I am accustomed to using DCS, where they have built in functions for controlling MOTORS, VALVES etc.

I am using Controllogix and realize that there are no built in fucntions to control different devices, everything has to be built from scratch...

Now I am sure that I am not the first person who has to control a valve or a motor with a PLC..

Is there any pre-packaged libraries / code that I can purchase so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

thanks guys,
buckian

Is there any pre-packaged libraries / code that I can purchase so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

thanks guys,
buckian

Not that I'm aware of. It would have to be a pretty generic machine for a library to exist for it.

I once wrote a BASIC program that would "fill in the blanks" for our standard control schemes on PLC-5's. This worked extremely well, but first I had to develop a scheme for each module on the machine.

But since this was for conveyor systems, which were mostly made up of the same basic building blocks, it didn't require more than a dozen different schemes to do the job.

The really nice thing about this approach was that once a scheme (module) was debugged, then it was sure to work anywhere. That made debug a snap.

When I uncovered a error in the logic (I had my fair share of them :) ), or when the plant requested a change (and there was plenty of these, too), then that individual module would be corrected and I'd propagate the fixed module throughout the system. This wasn't too bad, but it really paid off to get things working right the first time.

In Control Logix it's easy to create routines that you can use over and over. But you would have to create the first one yourself. This is the approach that I would use.

Caution: Semi-rant follows.

I'd be careful about how you go about it. At my previous employer, the group that was in charge of global controls design wrote what had to be some of the worst code imaginable. And to make matters worse, the hardware design (motor sizing especially) was pathetic. Things either didn't work, or didn't work for long.

And since they used this design *everywhere*, we had the same problems propagated throughout the entire plant (and all of the other plants as well).

The last that I heard, they *still* didn't have anywhere near all of the bugs worked out (and some area managers have been replaced (fired) because their areas couldn't make production).

When I left we were covering *every* area in the plant (and car plants tend to be gigantic) - sometimes all on the same night. One of my old partners logged his walking time between various breakdowns one night, and had spent 1-1/2 hours that night just walking to the different breakdowns that he had to cover.

So, in a nutshell, be careful about trusting someone else's code in your machines.

Generic Library

rootboy,

I'm thinking of functions that you would use in virtually ANY process plant...

for example, All plants have valves, with a open command, close command and possibly switches to indicate if the valves are open or closed. All plants must have motors, with a start/stop, run confirm from the contactor, interlock etc...

I can't believe that there are no libraries for these things....

In any DCS, you have function blocks for 'digital valve controllers', 'motor controllers' etc.

Ian

If you get the add on, you can use function blocks to program the CLX platform. The blocks have gotten better, (very small set, compared to a DCS), and there are simple ones for motors, valves etc...

Just adding to the rant that rootboy started.Code reuse isa great time saver but as rootboy said be careful about the code that you use and trust.

Best to start your own library start with simple things like flash timer logic,standard motor start logic,block transfer logic,troubleshooting bit logic,interlocking timers,cascading timers,hmi screen change logic,hmi alarm logic,etc.

Ab has some sample code here if you use ab plc products most of it is for control and compact logix.

Link http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/sc_home_page.hcst

Rockwell Plant PAx platform will have these function blocks, I am not shure if they already released or will be released in a near future.
Get in touch with local RA salesman, he should have all information.

As far as I know these libraries are similar to DCS blocks you are talking about.
It will be provided as set of Add-On instructions for RSlogix5000

Plant PAx pplatform was introduced during Automation Fair 2008 - google it for more information.

Last edited:
You might get a block that opens a valve in one plant, but another plant has a slightly different spec or requirement.

Everybody wants something different.

Ken,

what add-on are you speaking of? Where can I get it?

thanks,
Ian

He's most likely talking about the "FBD" license. RSLogix 5000 Professional has that included, in the standard version, it's optional.

When working in FBD (function Block Diagram), you have many more 'canned blocks' available, including some process controls and such.

Just look through the help file for the FBD instruction set to see what's there.