232 comms with slc 500

realolman

I have a SLC 500 1747-L532C/D 5/03 CPU 16k mem OS302
with a panelview hooked to the 485 port.

It also has a 232 port.

I have never been able to communicate with this or similar SLC's using the 232 port, but always have to use that goofy PIC thing that goes from 232 on computer to 485 on PLC with the ribbon cable, the box and the RJ 45 plug.

why is that?

what do I need to do, and what driver do I need to use to communicate using 232 serial ports so I can leave Panelview hooked up and leave the PIC thing in the desk?

It seems like something from the 70's.

Your SLC's serial port can be configured for DF1, ASCII or DH485.
If its DF1 then a null-modem cable and RsLinx's DF1 driver will work.
If DH485 then you need the PIC or 1747-UIC.

If you have the offline file then take a look and see how its configured.

Technically it's something from the '80s.

The RS-232 port on SLC-5/03, SLC-5/04, and SLC-5/05 processors is by default set for DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

Connect any null-modem serial cable (the 1747-CP3 has that convenient 90 degree connector) and configure a DF1 Full Duplex driver and click "Autoconfigure".

Most A-B users do this every day.

The 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver replaces the Microsoft serial port driver so you cannot use it and any other serial driver on the same physical COMx port.

I like the Keyspan HS-19 USB/RS232 converter for use with the DF1 Full Duplex driver.

Connect any null-modem serial cable (the 1747-CP3 has that convenient 90 degree connector) and configure a DF1 Full Duplex driver and click "Autoconfigure".

Most A-B users do this every day.

I do this too.... only it doesn't work... thus the problem.:)

and the 90° connector is convenient, isn't it?

When you say "It doesnt work" do you mean that its not configuring the DF1 driver? do you mean it is configuring it but not running it ?? (ie. stopped)!

Has your Laptop/ Programmer got a Serial port on it? or do you maybe require a USB / Serial converter so you can go straight into RS232 port with RS232 cable?

Also you will have to configure the DF1 Channel via Logix 500 by going to "Channel Config".

OK, so the problem could be with the controller configuration, or with your computer's configuration.

Do you have an offline file of the program that might show you that the serial port is set for some other protocol, like DF1 Half Duplex, DH485, or ASCII ?

Are you already running the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver on the same serial port ? The DF1 Driver and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver cannot run on the same physical port. You have to remove the PIC/AIC+ driver and reboot before configuring the DF1 Full Duplex driver.

If you provide other useful information about what you've seen (error messages ?), or what you expect to see but don't, that would help a lot.

I am at home now so I can't get too specific... I don't remember. If none of this makes any sense, I'll respond tommorow, when I can get to the computer.

In RSLinx I add a new rs232 driver and try to autoconfig it.
In autoconfig, it seems to be going through some testing... couple of different protocols(?) that I can't remember now (CDC, BCB?), .... seems to try to configure it, but fails.

The old club of a 1747-PIC/AIC snaps right to ...connects right up.

The laptop has a serial port. I use it for other things. Sometimes Factory Talk View ME latches onto it and I have to uninstall it and reboot to get it to let go.

I knew you had to delete the PIC driver to use another serial driver.

Also you will have to configure the DF1 Channel via Logix 500 by going to "Channel Config".

What does this mean? Is this something different than the autoconfig part of "configure driver"?

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may be trying to configure the DF1 driver for the same port as the PIC driver?? is this a possibility??

Also when you go online with whatever method u have been using, on the left column, select channel configurationa and make sure the baud rate etc are all as expected.

Are you running XP with SP3 installed?? as this will cause problems but is more related to the PIC driver.

Okay, if you have removed Service Pack 3, then theres a good chance you are still running the wrong driver, what you need to do is search for the file:-

serenum.sys

you should find a copy of this in:-

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

and also a copy in the C:\WINDOWS\uninstall folders which windows creates when you upgrade the service pack, if you hover over the files you find it should give you the file version. you will probably find the version in the driver folder is newer than the one in the uninstall, if so rename the one in drivers folder to say "serenum1.sys" and copy the older one over from the uninstall folder to the driver folder.

Reboot the PC and all should be good, create a new PIC and DF1 too.