RSLogix 5000 Phases, Please Help!

whirlair

We are about to undertake a Factory Talk Batch project. So I need to learn how to program with Equipment Phases (and SFCs).

I have been looking at the Rockwell sample code/PDF and made some progress in understanding how to program in this fashion. However I'm having some problems...

The sample code does not cover implementing a recipe, weights, setpoints, etc. From what I understand I need to pass things like setpoints via the Phase Parameters. I started to try this but found that a Phase Parameter can only be scoped to that phase. It cannot be at the controller scope. If I have a recipe UDT, do I have to make a separate instance at every equipment scope and copy the active recipe data to it?

I'm trying to make a simple phase program with 2 silos (ingredients) that fill a hopper with input weights. I'm just doing this in 5000 for now (no FT Batch). What is the best way to pass Setpoint Weights to a phase?

If anyone has an example program that would be great!

Thanks

Are you familiar with ISA-S88?
It covers operations, phases, etc....
I have been using a modified S88 model for years. Never used the AB version though.

A typical raw material charge phase, has variables for source, destination, and amount.
The Batch "engine" passes the parameters to the phase when it "calls" the phase.

If you are using phases, then recipes do not reside on the PLC, they reside on the batch engine PC. A recipe is just a series of phases in the correct order, with the correct amounts.

Last edited:
This is supposed to be S88. I get the general operation, what I don't get is how to implement this.

The AB example uses SFC for the running state of a phase. The problem with this is the example loads a ingredient based on time, which is easy because you just make the SFC stay at the "filling" step for X amount of time.

I will just keep messing with this. I think my main problem is I can't tell where certain data is supposed to go. Should the phase determine it's loaded X lbs? Or the main sequence? Where should I be checking the weight? Using SFCs are really throwing me for a loop.

Batch and Phase Manager

Hi Whirlair,

I've done the project for FT Batch and Phase Manager in CLX.
Will you use FT Batch....or just phase manager in CLX...?

For dosing system, you must to know about LDS (Liquid Dosing System). This is easy, you can set set point from FTBatch.

I have some sample program to make LDS Control