AGV - Automoated Guided Vehicle System

zai_jnr

Hi everyone,

I got assignment from my boss to develop AGV system using PLC programming. After surf by internet, I got info that i need to have :

1) Navigation
i) Wired method
ii)Guide Tape
iii)Laser target navigation
iv)Gyroscopic navigation
v)Natural Feature navigation
vi)Steering Control
2) Path Decision
i) Frequency select mode
ii)Path Select Mode
iii)Magnetic Tape Mode
3) Traffic Control
i) Zone Control
ii) Fwd Sensing Control
iii) Combination Control
4) Battery Charging
i) Battery Swap
ii)Automatic/Opportunity Charging
iii)Automatic Battery Swap.

Anyone from forum members ever develop or design this system using PLC? Can share with me?

Thank you in advance for the sharing.(y)

Regards,

Zai_Jnr

Hi everyone,

I got assignment from my boss to develop AGV system using PLC programming. After surf by internet, I got info that i need to have :

Are you serious? Your boss expects you to program something as cutting edge as you describe, and you have to find out the components on the internet? Something smells fishy to me.

Even if this is just some uni assignment, thats a ***** of a job.

Are you serious? Your boss expects you to program something as cutting edge as you describe, and you have to find out the components on the internet? Something smells fishy to me.

Even if this is just some uni assignment, thats a ***** of a job.

yup..i'm serious..yesterday my boss came to my station and discuss about this job..any idea?:geek:

I think the main thing is to FIRST decide WHAT this is going to do and what tolerances you need to design for. You are going to have to do this regardless if you do in house or job it out.

If this is just a back and forth on a track it would be fairly easy.

If this were something like an electric mailman in a hospital whole bunch harder.

IF this also had to find a pallet at a specific pallet location on a 4 tier pallet rack that is a WHOLE bunch harder. Close tolerances and thousands of locations maybe to choose from.

There are systems like this in use but who designs them I have no clue.

Dan Bentler

I think the main thing is to FIRST decide WHAT this is going to do and what tolerances you need to design for. You are going to have to do this regardless if you do in house or job it out.

If this is just a back and forth on a track it would be fairly easy.

If this were something like an electric mailman in a hospital whole bunch harder.

IF this also had to find a pallet at a specific pallet location on a 4 tier pallet rack that is a WHOLE bunch harder. Close tolerances and thousands of locations maybe to choose from.

There are systems like this in use but who designs them I have no clue.

Dan Bentler

Mr Dan,

That mean, there have such system that using PLC? erm..well i need to start from the 1st step..to source material need to use in this project before can proceed the next step..
any other members still have knowledge regard this system using PLC? Can share with me? :nodi:

Based on what you are saying you are going to spend money to buy equipment when you have no clue what you are going to do. Answer questions please
1. What will this system transport?
2. Over what range will it transport?
3. How many units per unit time?
4. From how many sources
5. To how many destinations

Dan Bentler

Based on what you are saying you are going to spend money to buy equipment when you have no clue what you are going to do. Answer questions please
4. From how many sources

Dan Bentler

Well, now we try to develop the simple process of AGV system using PLC.
We decide to make AGV application for pallet handling.
Around 10 meter square
For trial purpose, we produce 2 units AGV to avoid havoc traffic.
4. From how many sources ?
Plannning : Inside AGV have own CPU PLC and controlled by master CPU that mounting outside of AGV unit.
This system will go for 3 point.

Regards

OK I think I am starting to see.
AGV will
1. Go to a single source and get pallet (on ground on a rack filled with what weight)
2. Transport somewhere to one of 3 locations in a 10 meter square
3. Place pallet (on ground, pallet rack truck trailer)

Do you know what the term pulling hens teeth refers to?
Because that is sure what this is starting to feel like.

Maybe you better send me an airplane ticket so I can look see for mystelf.

Dan Bentler

Hi everyone,

1) Navigation
i) Wired method
ii)Guide Tape
iii)Laser target navigation
iv)Gyroscopic navigation
v)Natural Feature navigation
vi)Steering Control
2) Path Decision
i) Frequency select mode
ii)Path Select Mode
iii)Magnetic Tape Mode
3) Traffic Control
i) Zone Control
ii) Fwd Sensing Control
iii) Combination Control
4) Battery Charging
i) Battery Swap
ii)Automatic/Opportunity Charging
iii)Automatic Battery Swap.

Anyone from forum members ever develop or design this system using PLC? Can share with me?

Thank you in advance for the sharing.(y)

Regards,

Zai_Jnr
Not to spoil your fun but companies sell these things!
Considering the amount of research, design, programming, trial and error by the time you are done (if it ever gets done) it'll probably cost 10 times more than byuing it from a manufacturer.

Thank god! I was thinking you were asking for information on how to program a robotic tank or some such.

Nah I think I will take on a larger challenge. Nuc submarine, fully automatic, required to check in every 24 hours. Think of the advantages - no crew so do not need to have food, atmosphere control gear, only comes home once every 5 or 10 years for refuel or at shorter intervals for repair or weapon reload if used any.

Dan Bentler

Nah I think I will take on a larger challenge. Nuc submarine, fully automatic, required to check in every 24 hours. Think of the advantages - no crew so do not need to have food, atmosphere control gear, only comes home once every 5 or 10 years for refuel or at shorter intervals for repair or weapon reload if used any.

Dan Bentler

I am pretty sure source forge has some off the shelf code for that.

Good news - yes, there are companies that make agv's just as you ask for. We have one.

Bad news - ask the bank for £150,000.

Given the potential for DEATH - i would not attempt it.

And another thought - agv navigation systems, like all modern control systems, have a limited lifespan - about 10 years.

i would suggest using roller conveyors rather than an agv.

Good news - yes, there are companies that make agv's just as you ask for. We have one.

Bad news - ask the bank for £150,000.

Given the potential for DEATH - i would not attempt it.

And another thought - agv navigation systems, like all modern control systems, have a limited lifespan - about 10 years.

i would suggest using roller conveyors rather than an agv.

wow..really?1 what controller your AGV one using? PLC?

Not to spoil your fun but companies sell these things!
Considering the amount of research, design, programming, trial and error by the time you are done (if it ever gets done) it'll probably cost 10 times more than byuing it from a manufacturer.

yup..something like that, my boss plan to develop own AGV using PLC controller...but i'm dont have idea how to make it using PLC...just came over surf internet..many AGV using microcontroller/microprocessor as controller for that machine....