How Can we measured the size of cable

naeemmsc

If some one help me to give the formula to measured the size of cable.If we have 10mmsq so how weconfirm it by measuring.i also required chart of current rating in mm and AWG.
For example 10mm sq cable maximum draws 50Ampere.So please help me.

If some one help me to give the formula to measured the size of cable.If we have 10mmsq so how weconfirm it by measuring.i also required chart of current rating in mm and AWG.
For example 10mm sq cable maximum draws 50Ampere.So please help me.

The easy way is if you are using cable or conductor made to USA standard is read the label on the side for insulation type ie THHN etc and the conductor size ie 12, 10 (AWG).

ASSUMING your conductor is solid and cross sectional area of 10 mm(squared) or as you put it mm(sq). I would use a michromter vernier caliper or wire or drill gage to find diameter.
Area = pi X dia.

I assumed solid for simplicity because I am not sure if in stranded you have to measure each strand dia and calculte area then multiply by number of strands. I believe you can measure the diameter of the stranded conductor.

Many wire charts use both AWG and also list cross section area.

I recommend you get your wire size charts from the people you buy wire from - IDEALLY written by THEM for the wire THEY produce.

Dan Bentler

As you will almost certainly following British standards, have a look at this web site of one of our New Zealand cable suppliers.
You probably have 7 strands of 1.35mm cable if it is 10mm cable you are looking at.
Embossed on the side of the insulation at least once per meter should be the cable size, often not easy to read as its the same colour as the insulation unless its printed on.

Standard Condutors for fixed installations
http://www.generalcable.co.nz/newzealand/nzPublicPages/Resources/Technical_Info.aspx

Another method to figure out the size of an unmarked cable would be to take a scrap, remove all the insulation and weigh it which would give you thr weight per unit length. From there it should be easy to work out the cross sectional area.
Roy