Embed Strings into Panelview Alarm Messages

johnfarrugi

I know it is possible to embed strings into a panelview easy enough. I am getting all kinds of errors when I try to embed a string into an alarm message. Is this possible to do?

Last edited:
You did not specify which Panelview. For anything using Panelbuilder 32 here is what the help says about it:

Add variables to alarm text

In the Text field, you can enter alarm text including a time, date or numeric variable.
To insert a time, date, numeric variable in a text string:
1 Double-click the Text field in which you want to insert a variable.
2 Position the cursor where you want to insert the variable.
3 Right-click and select a variable from the Embedded Variable menu.
For the Time and Date variable, a placeholder is inserted in the text (/*T*/ for time, /*D*/ for date). The format of the time and date is set in the Terminal Setup dialog.
A dialog opens when Variable or Character is selected. The dialog defines the format of the variable in the text string. When you exit the dialog, a placeholder is inserted within the text with embedded formatting details.
To edit a numeric or ASCII variable:
1 Double-click the Text field of the alarm containing the variable.
2 Click on the numeric /*V:12 NOFILL FIX:0*/ or ASCII /*A:12 */ variable placeholder.
The embedded data within the placeholder will vary depending on the options you selected in the Variable dialog.
3 Right-click and select Embedded Variable>Edit Variable from the popup menu.
4 Edit the settings in the Variable dialog.
5 When done, click OK to exit dialog.
The placeholder is updated with the new formatting details.
The tag updating the numeric or character variable should be scanned with the alarm trigger.
To delete a variable:
Click on the placeholder and press Backspace or Delete.
Notes
§ Embedded variables must be within the same scan group as the alarm trigger. This is protocol dependent. They must also have the same update frequency.
§ For the ControlLogix processor, alarm messages with embedded variables may not be synchronized with the alarm trigger because the trigger and variables may be stored in different areas of memory. If multiple alarms are triggered, the embedded variable in a message may be overwritten by the embedded variables in the next message. Use the Acknowledge and Handshake tags to verify that the correct variable is displayed with an alarm message.
Allen-Bradley Company, LLC, Copyright © 1993-2002, All Rights Reserved

I have attached a PB32 project I'm working on. Look at the alarms. Let me know what my problem is. I don't really understand the instructions.

I have attached a PB32 project I'm working on. Look at the alarms. Let me know what my problem is. I don't really understand the instructions.
If you try to validate your app you get a truck load of errors.
All errors are" usupported file type specified for alarms".
Instead of a string type, use an N type and index through.
You can define the text displayed for each value of the N location.

If you use the N type , open the text editor and type in what you want displayed on the screen when that specific alarm (value) is active

is it possible to edit the file and repost it. I am still uncertain of what you guys are saying.
I am looking to store the alarm messages in the PLC ST255:0 to ST255:20. The alarm trigger is looking at LSB. Each bit represents an ST255 variable. When bit 0 is high ST255:0.1 is displayed. When bit 10 is high ST255:10 is displayed on the alarm banner.

is it possible to edit the file and repost it. I am still uncertain of what you guys are saying.
I am looking to store the alarm messages in the PLC ST255:0 to ST255:20. The alarm trigger is looking at LSB. Each bit represents an ST255 variable. When bit 0 is high ST255:0.1 is displayed. When bit 10 is high ST255:10 is displayed on the alarm banner.
It is the same thing using an N file
When n:xx=1 , preselected text is displayed
When n:xx=10 preselected text is displayed.
You just have to type the text in the PB application and the PLC will do the value selection depending on your logic.
If n:xx=1 then text displayed "Alarm #1" or whatever you type in for a value of 1.
If no one posts I'll look at it later on this afternoon.

That I understand! However, I want to store the alarm messages in the PLC and have the Panelview display the string files from the PLC. I want to embed string data from the PLC into an alarm message.

You did not specify which Panelview. For anything using Panelbuilder 32 here is what the help says about it:

Add variables to alarm text

In the Text field, you can enter alarm text including a time, date or numeric variable.
To insert a time, date, numeric variable in a text string:
1 Double-click the Text field in which you want to insert a variable.
2 Position the cursor where you want to insert the variable.
3 Right-click and select a variable from the Embedded Variable menu.
For the Time and Date variable, a placeholder is inserted in the text (/*T*/ for time, /*D*/ for date). The format of the time and date is set in the Terminal Setup dialog.
A dialog opens when Variable or Character is selected. The dialog defines the format of the variable in the text string. When you exit the dialog, a placeholder is inserted within the text with embedded formatting details.
To edit a numeric or ASCII variable:
1 Double-click the Text field of the alarm containing the variable.
2 Click on the numeric /*V:12 NOFILL FIX:0*/ or ASCII /*A:12 */ variable placeholder.
The embedded data within the placeholder will vary depending on the options you selected in the Variable dialog.
3 Right-click and select Embedded Variable>Edit Variable from the popup menu.
4 Edit the settings in the Variable dialog.
5 When done, click OK to exit dialog.
The placeholder is updated with the new formatting details.
The tag updating the numeric or character variable should be scanned with the alarm trigger.
To delete a variable:
Click on the placeholder and press Backspace or Delete.
Notes
§ Embedded variables must be within the same scan group as the alarm trigger. This is protocol dependent. They must also have the same update frequency.
§ For the ControlLogix processor, alarm messages with embedded variables may not be synchronized with the alarm trigger because the trigger and variables may be stored in different areas of memory. If multiple alarms are triggered, the embedded variable in a message may be overwritten by the embedded variables in the next message. Use the Acknowledge and Handshake tags to verify that the correct variable is displayed with an alarm message.
Allen-Bradley Company, LLC, Copyright © 1993-2002, All Rights Reserved
I found this under Panelbuilder help.
Here's the deal:
While setting up the Alarm messages:
Under 1 (fisrt message)
Delete what you have so far
Right click on the empty field
Select "Embedded variable
Select "Character"
From the pop up meny select field width (I assume 80 since you had 80 there)
Under Read Tag, click on the drop down arrow and find your tag "ALARM_MESSAGE0"
Click OK

Here's what you should have:
/*V:80 ALARM_MESSAGE0 NOFILL FIX:0*/
This will display your first string (alarm)
Try it and see how it works.
If it is all good, just follow the steps above for all of your alarms, status messages.

Last edited:
I tested this one real quick.
I guess there's no support for "String".
I guess you use the N type and while at it use more code to copy the string to the plc depending on your N value when an alrm becomes active.

No that doesn't work. A variable only excepts 12 characters and they cant be string tags. I just get an error "tag/object data type mismatch"

Re-read the response, I had to edit
A character accepts 80 but still won't work
Seems that you cannot use a string type.
Back to the old N set up and additional code to copy the string to a PLC register when an alarm becomes active.
Hopefully someone will prove me wrong and make your day!