How to cummunicate to a customers PLC

userxyz

Our customer wants support in a way that I can connect to their PLC.

How can this be done, modem, vpn ?

SIemens

Remote PLC Connection

Well for starters what PLC are you using, and what type of comm interface does it have. If it has Ethernet does it do TCP/IP of some of other protocol (like some of the old AB stuff)

If it is serial interface a phone line and modem works (slowly). If it is Ethernet then you have to fight though a couple levels of IT people to have them set you up with a some type of connection like a VLAN or tunnel into there system.

We have had vendors do both here when we were first commissioning systems.

If you can work with you IT department I would go with the Ethernet option.

There are several ways:

Analog or ISDN modem + Teleservice. Low speed. Expensive for overseas connections.

VPN is possible, but requires that your IT department and customers IT department arrange the VPN connection from one site to the other. Not possible in many cases.

This is interesting:
http://www.****.biz/Pres2005CD.htm
The big trick is this: The customer 'merely' has to supply an Internet connection that gives access to the www. You do not need to access his LAN otherwise. This is much more acceptable to a customer.
What happens is this: The router accesses a site called talkt2M. When you want to access the customers PLC from your own company, you also connect to the talk2M site. On the talk2M site, the two clients are connected together, and you are online on the remote LAN. Like VPN without VPN.

edit: If your PLC does not have ethernet, then they also have a version with MPI port.

ok

Why not possible ? To weird guys ? :whistle:

There are several ways:

Analog or ISDN modem + Teleservice. Low speed. Expensive for overseas connections.

VPN is possible, but requires that your IT department and customers IT department arrange the VPN connection from one site to the other. Not possible in many cases.

This is interesting:
http://www.****.biz/Pres2005CD.htm
The big trick is this: The customer 'merely' has to supply an Internet connection that gives access to the www. You do not need to access his LAN otherwise. This is much more acceptable to a customer.
What happens is this: The router accesses a site called talkt2M. When you want to access the customers PLC from your own company, you also connect to the talk2M site. On the talk2M site, the two clients are connected together, and you are online on the remote LAN. Like VPN without VPN.

edit: If your PLC does not have ethernet, then they also have a version with MPI port.

Some customers "IT department" is 1 guy struggling to keep up with security updates on a zero budget. A VPN connection may be too much to ask for, even if he is willing.

Other customers IT departments are very capable, and as open and willing to cooperate as the Soviet Union.

communication

But, what about communication...

The IT guys are willing to set up a VPN...

So CPU S7-317 PN/DP is connected directly on their LAN in a certain ip range, 193.168.10.xx. Will I be able to monitor in my simatic directly on the CPU in their LAN ?

PG/PC communication === VPN ?

Some customers "IT department" is 1 guy struggling to keep up with security updates on a zero budget. A VPN connection may be too much to ask for, even if he is willing.

Other customers IT departments are very capable, and as open and willing to cooperate as the Soviet Union.

Your VPN connection should get you an IP address of 193.168.10.xx (you sure it's not 192?) when connected. You'll be able to go online with the PLC as if you were local.

Ha, ha - too true. That's why you need to get the person who pays your bill to push it through. Bottom line - it saves them money.

hm

The VPN connection works...
I have a connection and all ports are open on both sides. Port 102 = S7 PLC port btw.

But, I don't receive a ping reply from the CPU and cannot go online with it. A Siemens guy told me that I should config a router (gateway) in the hardware config (CPU PN port). So I well need to travel one more time to the customer to change the hardware config of the CPU... then VPN should be possible.

Your VPN connection should get you an IP address of 193.168.10.xx (you sure it's not 192?) when connected. You'll be able to go online with the PLC as if you were local.