scaling with micrologix 1500

quebmaint

hi everyone, I got a newb question for you. Is there a way to scale encoder pulses to represent linear movement. example I have a encoder and every 2154 pulse a bar has traveled 1 inch. the bar travels 0 to 73 inches. I'm trying to have it so the operator can input a measurement in the touch panel and the bar will move to that location. It does not have to be that close of a tolerance just with in reason. I was trying to make every pulse represent a measurement which got me close.But my other bar doubles in pulses which overloads the plc and faults out. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Mike

Swag: Use two counters, one counter has a preset of 2154, the second counter counts the done bits from the first counter. Each count equals one inch.

There's a lot more to it, of course, but you can see the potential, and decide if it will work or not.