Read Message in RS5000

godfrey

I'm trying to figure out the correct syntax for entering the communications path in the Communications Tab. I am using Ethernet (I have a 1768-ENBT/A card in slot 1). I'm going out to another ControlLogix processor at 192.168.190.100. I'm pretty sure I have the Configuration and Tag tabs set up correctly.
I have entered "ETHERNET, 1, 192.168.190.100" into the path.
Is this correct? I need to get this right before the panel ships. Thanks.

naturally I don't know anything about your system other than what you've posted ... but ... it looks like you're only about halfway there with your path specification ...

I'm assuming (gosh I hate that word) that the other chassis has its own Ethernet module (maybe the 192.168.190.100 address) ... if so, then you're going to have to tell the signal to "continue on to the chassis backplane" - and then to "continue on to slot such-and-such" to find the processor ...

basic idea: I doubt that your other PROCESSOR (itself) has that address that you listed ... so ... once the signal gets THAT FAR, then it needs to know where to go on from there ...

here's the syntax of a path specification that we use in the student lab with good success ...

ETHERNET, 1, 192.168.190.100, 1, 0

the final ZERO specifies the CHASSIS SLOT NUMBER of the other processor ... naturally you'll have to change that digit if the other processor you're working with is "otherwise located" ...

disclaimer: this is all based on assumptions about your system ...

hope this helps ... good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
Thanks, Ron. I'll get that info from the integrator.
Is the "1" in the second place in the path the slot occupied by my ethernet card?
Is the address 192.168.190.100 the IP of the target ethernet card?
Is the "1" in the fourth place in the path the slot occupied by the target ethernet card?

Thanks, Ron. I'll get that info from the integrator.
Is the "1" in the second place in the path the slot occupied by my ethernet card?
Is the address 192.168.190.100 the IP of the target ethernet card?
Is the "1" in the fourth place in the path the slot occupied by the target ethernet card?
I understand the numbering to mean the following:

ETHERNET is being substituted for the actual name you assigned the ENBT, which you can drill-down to as the first part of establishing your path.

In all my applications and from what I read, where Ron shows a "1", I use a "2" (without quotes) which means "Out to Ethernet". (If the "2" were used in a PLC-5 environment, it would mean "out through the serial port". With a CNB-R module, it means "out to ControlNet").

Then the I.P. address of the target device.

The "1" in the "fourth place" means "to the back-plane".

The final zero is the slot where the destination processor lives.

I hope this is of some help to you, godfrey.

Bill

If you were to :-

put your local ENBT in your IO configuration, gives you an Ethernet network to add devices to...

add the remote ENBT to the Ethernet network (needs a name), gives you access to the remote chassis....

then add the remote controller to the remote chassis (needs a name also).

In your message configuration, communications tab, you can then use the drop-down to select the remote controller.

Sounds difficult, but fill in all the white boxes on the configuration screens then it all becomes clear.

I'm going out to another ControlLogix processor at 192.168.190.100

That was where you misunderstood, you aren't going out to the controller, you will only reach the ENBT in the remote chassis. Imagine if there were more than 1 controller in that chassis, yoyu need to direct the communications to the correct controller.

Once you've reached the remote ENBT, the path spec needs to be told to go to the backplane of the remote chassis via the BACK port of the ENBT, always ",1", then the slot number of the controller, for example slot 5 will need ",5" added to the path spec.

Path specifications into ControlLogix chassis always end with ",1,<slot>" to reach the intended module.

The Help file for the MSG instruction in RSLogix 5000 has a very complete and simple explanation of the PATH field.

A Path is really pretty simple: it's pairs of Port and Address numbers separated by commas.

The important ports are "1", the backplane, and "2" the network port.

Addresses can be Slot Numbers, ControlNet Nodes, or IP addresses.

When you have named modules in your I/O tree, you can use those names instead of Port, Address number pairs. In fact, RSLogix 5000 will substitute module names for Port, Address pairs if you type them in.

In your system, I'll bet the module called "ETHERNET" is the 1768-ENBT in Slot 1.

Let's assume (for Ron's entertainment" that the remote ControlLogix is in Slot 0 of its chassis.

The Path is:

ETHERNET, 2, 192.168.190.100, 1, 0

ETHERNET, 2, 192.168.190.100, 1, 0

yep, somehow I transposed a "1" for the second element instead of a "2" ... when I look back at the notes that I still have lying here on the desk, they're correct ... so - another typical typographical error ... sorry about that ...

nice to have a forum where everybody can help keep each other straight ...

Last edited:
Please ignore this post if not relevant.

I have never done messaging in Control Logix, but found sharing data among processors in a network by means of "Produced/Consumed tags" fairly simple, faster.

Best Regards

Hi, just a question. What if im try to message to a micrologix 1400, what will i put in the address?

I can't test this, but I'm fairly certain that the Message Path will end with the network address of the 1400.