Operation System selection

RobinWang11

o_OHi There,

Windows Server 2003, Window Server 2008, Windows 2000 Server SP4, Windows XP.

Anyone know which system is the most reliable sysem? We're going to run ClearSCADA 2009 R1 in a control computer.Because it is a critical process, we have to choose a very stable system. I called tech support, and they told me operation system is not an issue. However, my boss does not agree. He ask me to find out the most stable system and explain to him the reason. anyone can help me on this problem? Thanks a lot.

it is a stand alone system. We also need remote access function(webview). I already checked Control System website and even called tech support. However, Nobody can tell me which operation system is better.Tech support just tell me "you can use any operation system which is compatible with ClearSCADA and you feel comfortable with it. Myself and most my clients use XP, and i ever heard anything wrong from them"
I told my boss exactly like this,but he was not satisfied with this answer. He ask me what make me decide to choose XP (base on so many options)and compare XP with Server 2003 which one is better. According to his experience, he think server 2003 is more stable...
You know, i have to find something to explain to him...I am not a IT guy... headache..

Last edited:
So I am guess you are what they would call a Small Stand alone client-server with up to 10,000 obejects and 1-2 remote clients. (or possible no remote clients).

If that falls into your category, I would go with Windows XP Professional. It's been tried and tested and is stable. Also, cost is low compared to Windows Server. Has great uptime and is configurable for pretty much anything you need.

Downside, its getting harder to find Windows XP Pro. Vista is the newest and itself is about to be replaced.

Both of the Server versoins are nice, I have both running and not a issue with either one. The upside to using Server is if you ever need to go up with your client, you already have Server installed.

What type of hardware do you have to install the Windows software on?

Computer spec

Thank you for your help.
I am working on the computer spec now. The basic configure will be as follow:
Control Computer Spec Sheet

Hardware:
  • 2 GHz processor (Intel)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 500 GB disk
  • Ethernet interface (cat 5 cable)
  • Modem
  • 19” Monitor (LCD)
  • Keyboard, mouse
  • DVD rewriter
  • 2 USB ports (at least)
  • 3.5” floppy drive
  • Firewall switch (Please suggest)
Software:
  • Windows XP PRO operation system, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2000 Server SP4. (Which system is the most stable one? What’s the price difference? Please Suggest)
  • Adobe@Reader 9.0
  • WinZIP
  • Word 2003 & Excel 2003
I just sent this spec sheet to our computer supplier. No response yet. Any suggestion about this?
As you said this is a quite small system (flare station control system, and less than 200 pt)

Well most of what you will get now-a-days will be dual core anyways. With your hardware setup you can really go either way. With that setup though I would lean towards the XP Pro mainly due to resources. Windows Server (all flavors) do like their resources as I am sure the SCADA system does to.

As for prices, just a quick look Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition is $435 US. XP Professional SP2 Retail 264.99. Or XP Pro SP3 for system builers is 130.99. Now since you are getting this from a supplier prices may be different. This is pulled of NewEgg.

Like I said, for what you want to do XP will be great. Its a tried and true system, very few bugs now-a-days (well execpt with some Rockwell software, but thats another story). I think for what you want to do Server is going to be an overkill.

You will have more than 2 USB ports, probably close to 8 is more like it. What type of firewall switch are you thinking about? You want a physical firewall I am taking it, not software. Whats the budget and what are your requirements for it?

Yes, We want a physical firewall switch, i am thinking about
SONICWALL APL17-09 firewall switch.
I used this one in a previous project, and it works well.
My budget for computer is Less than $1000
I am not sure about the firewall switch yet, but cheaper is better. If you can suggest one, that's would be great. Thanks a lot.

Robin

my boss still want to go with Server 2003 or 2008 (he said $200 difference is ok)
Can you just tell me between 2003 and 2008. Which one is better for control system? or what's the difference. appreciate

Last edited:
A couple comments on the PC spec.

If you don't specify the processor, the 2GHz requirement is meaningless.

If it's an XP box, go for 3GB of RAM, you won't regret it, and it only costs $10-$15 more. If you go for a server OS, go for more RAM.

Even with these changes, it's still a pretty minimal desktop pc. Should be readily available and cheap.

A couple items stand out as virtually obsolete and I have to wonder why you need them. The modem and the FDD. As another current thread pointed out, analog phone lines are becoming scarce. If you really need a FFD, I'd go with a USB external one. The one in the pc is likely to be full of dust when you go to use it.