Slc 500

Logitech

Trying to connect to a SLC 5/03 via the serial port. I don't have a serial port so I got a USB adaptor (USA-19HS) and using a null modem cable but I still can't connect with my SLC. Using DF1 driver. RSLinx will not auto config but I heard it wouldn't with an adaptor. Any help would be appreciated.

if you've got the Keyspan adapter, it usually DOES work with the autoconfigure ...

one thing that the autoconfigure will NOT do, is try different serial ports ... in other words, you might have to manually change from COM1 to COM2, etc. to find where your computor has "landed" the USB adaptor ...

if that doesn't get it working, consider that the SLC's Channel 0 might have been reconfigured for DH-485 or ASCII or something other than just plain-vanilla DF1 ...

do you have an existing (and current) copy of the SLC's .RSS program? ... if so, check under "Channel Configuration" and see how the serial port has been configured ...

DF1 settings

Com3
SLC-CH0
19200 baud, but have tried them all
stop bit, 1
error BCC
Protocol Full

Unknown

No I don't have a current copy of the program and do not know how the serial port was configured. Any alternatives, will removing the battery reset it to 232 again. I don't need the program that is in it right now as we are putting it on another application.

isnt there Dip switch settings on the processer that will default it back to the factory default for comm port settings? i thought there was - but i could be thinking another plc..... havent had lunch yet cant think on an empty belly

Yes, you can reset the SLC to factory default by removing the battery and shorting GND to VBB for a few seconds to drain the capacitor. Make sure you remove the EEPROM module if one exists. That should put it back to DF1 protocol.

Once done, the DF1 baud rate should be 1200 unless you have FRN11 and then it will be 19.2k.

Paul