AB ENI Modules

mryoung482749

I would like to ask you guys of vast experience your take on Allen Bradley Ethernet ENI modules. You know those little high dollar devices they sell to convert DF-1 devices like Micrologix or SLC 5/03 to ethernet. What problems have you experienced? What are your recomendations on applications? What have you learned using them? How have you coped with working around some of there drawbacks like, limited connection? Have you ever had problems with them dropping off your network? If so what did you do to resolve the issue. I know someone has figuired this out and I am too tired and busy to re-invent the wheel here. Sure would appreciate your input.

Only problem I've experienced was with an oem machine, had a VB6.0 interface, and RS500 installed. If you tried to go online with the plc while the VB6.0 app was running it choked the connections and you had issues, corrupet datatables. Always had to shutdown the VB6.0 application before going online. This was talking to a micrologix 1200 if I remember right.

Any time we use an ENI it is mainly for communiations to an ethernet PanelView+. I try not to use it for programming, but have not had any problems doing so. These systems are typically SLC 5/04 CPUs, and DH plus is the preferned network for programming and any messaging that is taking place between procesors. They have been rock solid in this aspect, but the update times on the PanelView+ are noticably laggy.

I personally would not use it for anything else but comms to an HMI.

They are good for upgrading older applications to Ethernet, but I wouldn't use one on a new project. As far as connections you can have 2 incoming, 2 outgoing, and 2 either way

Had a problem to communicate over the Ethernet between ML 1500 and VFD Power Flex 700. The signal was not transferred properly. Many interruption and not stable.

Other wise talk well with Panel View Plus.

The Net-ENI modules do fine for light duty, but I like to use the Digi One IAP. I've used them on several 5/04's that are involved in messaging, HMI's, server based remote data logging/trending, and programming. It is possible to overload one, but they are a lot more robust than the ENI's - IMHO.

I do agree with TWControls - I wouldn't use one on a new project.

So guys sounds like the almighty AB should be sued for selling such an inadaquat device that is sure to fail. You can buy a good ethernet plc for the cost of one of these boys and I have inherited 9 of these on a data logging network.

I don't know about that. The device does what they say it will. There is just other stuff out there that will do more.

So guys sounds like the almighty AB should be sued for selling such an inadaquat device that is sure to fail. . .

They're not that bad. Sure, you can try to read 3000 tags per second and lock up comms, but if you expect the NET-ENI to magically give your serial PLC ethernet speed, then you deserve to be disappointed.

I have one that lets me program a 5/04 over ethernet. I can have RSLogix open and a DDE linked spreadsheet monitoring a couple of hundred tags, and it runs fine. I have overloaded its communications once or twice by trying to read to much data too fast, but overall, I think the NET-ENI does pretty darn good for its intended purpose and then some.

We also use the Digi-1AP on some other machines with OEM locked PLCs so I can't tell you if they are any faster. They are definitely cheaper, easier to configure and have a couple of unique features.

Bottom line, it's still just a serial port at the other end. Keep that in mind and you should be fine.

I am only disappointed because I have them running along with 36 other devices on one of my subnets. What is your experience in this vast of a network with them. They are only being polled every second for less than 50 tags using KepserverEX set at a maximum of 64 packets per device using auto demotion. What is your Experience on these particulars "OKIE"