RSLogix5000 Function block and the SCL instruction

pandersen

I'm making a quick foray into using a FBD routine in order to use the SCL instruction and I found a couple things I could not find an explanation for:

1. Some of my wires are solid lines, some are dashed. I can see no difference in meaning or function. Why is this?
2. The SCL instruction has a status DINT, but nowhere in the help file does it explain what bits mean what (Except that bit 0 is faulted or not faulted). I understand that all bits off is a 'good' status. Does anyone have a chart with each bit's meaning?

I'm not sure, but isn't dash line means not valid connection? Does it compiles without any mistakes?

The items with dashed lines compile and run as you would expect. I attached a screenshot with a snippet of code that shows what I am seeing.

FBD.png

Dashed lines are indeed Boolean I/O, the solid lines indicate numeric (INT/DINT/REAL etc) I/O.

For all of the FBD blocks, the STATUS DINT is just a single-word representation of the internal status flags. For the SCL instruction, there are only two status flags, InstructFault and InRawRangeInv. I'm not positive, but I believe these would end up in the lowest two bits of the status DINT.

Note also, that you don't have to explicitly provide I/O tags for every I/O point. I usually put a couple tags on the FBD, but use direct writes to the actual tag of the SCL instruction. In your case, just using MOV to move a value EngUnits_Scale.InEUMin from some other subroutine eliminates the need to connect the tag as shown for example.

Actually, if you don't want to connect tags at all, you can just put the scaling values directly into the EngUnits_Scale tag.