RSView32 Problems

gtshuttle

I had a power outage, after restoration ALL the values on my display were missing. Currently everything has to be done manually. I am running a AB PLC with RSView32, RSLinx Professional and RS Logix 5000. I am new to PLC and need some urgent help restoring systems.

Last edited:
You lost communication between your PLC and the display.
One thing to check is that you may have lost the program in the PLC. Get someone to go online with it to verify that the program is still in it.

I have no one to help me, that's my main reason for posting here. PLCs are relatively new here. I can open the software but no values/ numbers to be viewed. Initially thought it may be the activation files but I am not sure.

What I describe below may be a fix for your situation it has for me on many occassions power failures being among them.

This I have posted before.
Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

Check to see if the communication drivers in the RSView project have not defalted to none loaded. I have had the same problem where allt he graphics are displayed but not data is shown.

If you are using ethernet check the power supply to any switches or hubs, are the port lights flashing.
Are you running a touchscreen HMI, if so try loading a different version of the software from the file manager.
Good Luck
Roy

I am new to PLC and need some urgent help restoring systems.

How new are you?
  • Do you know how to run RSLinx to see if all of the devices properly appear on your network?
  • Is it an Ethernet network? If so, do you know the IP addresses and can you ping them from the DOS prompt?
  • Are there any fault indications on the PLC?
I agree with Godfrey that the most likely problem is communication has been lost between the PanelView and PLC.

CeCo3

Thanks guys: Yes it is an Ethernet network. I pinged the IP and it was ok. No fault indications from PLC, they are all OK. I am using a desktop monitor.

Last edited:
Still sounds like a comm. problem. Can you ping your RsView computer?
Maybe you lost ethernet card in that?

If you try Gil47's advice on cleaning a corrupt project.....
1. You delete the whole folder Called cache.
2. Open up the tag folder and delete the *.cac file
3. Go to your computers OBDC setup in control panel and remove the
OBDC topic with your rsview project name. (left this step out)

these will all be redone when you restart the project.

What kind of processor is the PLC? With a program lost, you still can ping it OK and the PLC OK light will still be solid green.
I think you still need to verify that you can go online with it.

One problem I encountered was an app setup to use OPC. The RSLinx activation went weird which resorted Linx to Lite. Lite does not work for OPC, which then stopped comms between the PLC and HMI. Just something to check.