Modems for Communication Between PLCs

rwy34ils

Seems like I am putting up a new post just about every day here. A wealth of valuable expertise here and I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice.

I need to connect 4 PLCs together and have them communicate with Modbus. The distance is about 4000 feet. I have done this many times in the past (several years ago) using data modems (FSK Bell). I can't find anyone who manufactures these anymore. The whole world has gone to wireless spread spectrum, wireless Ethernet, etc. Ten years ago there were several companies who made such a thing.

These are used for a golf course irrigation system. We are using RS485 with poor results. The distance is a bit too great and also the existing wiring is in a 'star' arrangement which is not good for RS485.

Does anyone know where to get dedicated wireline modems? I don't mean the dial-up kind. The ones I need are full-time dedicated FSK tone modems.

Thanks for that information.

Cost is the main issue. Last time I used them, modems were about $400, while wireless runs $1000 or more. Also, there is an issue of getting good line-of-sight. Two of the PLCs are down in a river valley.

Last edited:
Seems like I am putting up a new post just about every day here. A wealth of valuable expertise here and I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice.

I need to connect 4 PLCs together and have them communicate with Modbus. The distance is about 4000 feet. I have done this many times in the past (several years ago) using data modems (FSK Bell). I can't find anyone who manufactures these anymore. The whole world has gone to wireless spread spectrum, wireless Ethernet, etc. Ten years ago there were several companies who made such a thing.

These are used for a golf course irrigation system. We are using RS485 with poor results. The distance is a bit too great and also the existing wiring is in a 'star' arrangement which is not good for RS485.

Does anyone know where to get dedicated wireline modems? I don't mean the dial-up kind. The ones I need are full-time dedicated FSK tone modems.

Have you looked at the Westermo products ?

http://www.westermo.com/Resource.phx/content/products/productGroups.htx