PDA

View Full Version : Completely Lost...Communications with Panelview Plus

rwy34ils
June 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Here is my latest (mis)adventure...

I am trying to set up simple serial communications between a PanelView 600 Plus and a FlexLogix PLC.

I have no problem using the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition to build the application and download it to the PanelView. That part is ok.

I can't get the PanelView to communicate with the PLC and I'm not sure if it is a problem with the communication setup or the sytax I am using for the tags.

I am using serial communications and DF-1 between the PanelView and PLC. I would be happy to simply get even one simple on/off bit to show up on the PanelView.

Can anyone share some tips with me? I have read all the Rockwell documentation and serched this forum. A simple example would help immensely. (Wouldn't it be nice if RS put a few examples in their User's Guides)

Ken Roach
June 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Have you tried the Display Test or the Test Run feature work on your development PC ? That would rule out syntax.

PCs have DTE type serial ports, while PanelView Plus terminals have DCE type serial ports. Try adding a null-modem adapter to the cable between the PV+ terminal and the FlexLogix.

rwy34ils
June 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks Ken. I am using the cable that is specified in the PanelView manual---2711-NC13. It is the same one that is used for PC to PanelView downloading.

rwy34ils
June 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
What should a tag address look like in the PanelView? Suppose I have a tag called "Testjunk". Is it as simple as just addressing as such or do I need to add brackets, slashes, colons or anything else? the RS User Manual is not clear on this at all.

Phrog30
June 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I don't use HMI tags in the panelview plus. I use direct tags because it is faster. The syntax for a direct tag would be: {::[shortcut]Testjunk}. The "shortcut" is whatever name you chose under communication setup. If you use HMI tags the syntax would be ::[shortcut]Testjunk.

rstech
June 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Did you set-up your communications in RSLinx Enterprise? In FactoryTalkView Studio you will find it at the bottom of the tree on the left hand side.

I use direct tags like Phrog30 mentioned. It saves having a tag database in the PanelView.