Why would a 1756-EN2T in A17 rack think its in an A7 rack

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
It have two different CLX systems that both exhibit the same anomalous behavior.

I recently replaced the 1756-ENBT modules in slot 1 of each chassis with a 1756-EN2T module. Now in RSLinx both of the EN2Ts will only see slots 0 thru 7. The EN2T is used for RSView and plant network connections. They have IP addresses 10.112.4.2XX. When I check the module properties backplane tab in the program, it shows a chassis size of 17. But I can't get it to show anything past slot 7 in RSLinx.

Each chassis also has a second 1756-ENBT card in slot 2. The slot 2 Ethernet card is for local Ethernet IO and communicating with drives and motion controllers. They have the IP address 192.168.0.2. The controller networks don't interconnect. If I change my laptop IP address and connect to the PLC through the IO network switch, I can see all 17 slots in RSLinx. Its the same for both chassis.

I'm stumped. I didn't see anything in the AB KB, but my search also returned hundreds of results so its entirely possible that its there and I missed it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
This is very simple: you have RSlinx prior to 2.51
You MUST have 2.51 or higher - EDS will not help
See TN 37323

Edit: how to find technote - also simple: search for "EN2T 7 slots" - this will be first hit :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much Contr_Conn. I thought I was at V 2.51 but then I double checked and I'm at 2.5. I downloaded the update, now I have to go grovel at the feet of the IT manager to get it installed.

2.50 will not see EN2T correctly
I believe I saw patch for 2.50 prior to v2.51 release, but I am not sure if it was released for download

now I have to go grovel at the feet of the IT manager to get it installed.

I don't see why you should have to grovel to anyone in your organisation, least of all an IT manager.

RSLinx is an engineering tool you absolutely NEED to do YOUR job, just as much as he needs his IT tools to do his job.

Keeping it up-to-date shouldn't require his approval, as it presumably is approved software for the corporate PCs anyway.

If, however, you are saying that you will have to grovel to physically get it installed, (i.e. he or one of his "team" have to do it), then they have chosen this course of action, and they should do their job by facilitating the upgrade in a timely fashion.