CFC Programming Question

[FIN]Pete

Has anyone good ideas how to do short sequences (up to 8-14 steps), using the CFC-programming? The goal would be that the program would be a clear, simple, easy to modify. The main thing is to find a good idea of how the sequence of CFCs has worth to do. :geek:
Please do not suggest endless (FlipFlop, And, Or, Edge), diagrams or the SFC to.​

Pete 🍺

Hi
Which PLC etc or u looking for a generic solution?

I would use a register to hold a value for the step number, say 0 to 16 steps.

Use compares to create step active bits. Use step complete coils to move next step nmber into the step number register

Clarification question: it is a Simatic PCS7's programming tool. I have been thinking about a step numbers one way or another. Unfortunately, I have not found a good way to set a several values for the same variable.

There are already more than 20 SFC's. They are not worth "wasting" an easy and simple sequences.
As I said at the beginning: "Please do not suggest endless (FlipFlop, And, Or, Edge), diagrams or SFC"

I would absolutely suggest to use a SFC. CFC's are used to connect different parts of a program not to make a program or sequence. You could also use a block created in SCL, FUP or whatever you prefer.

I tried the "stick" of ice. I was hoping that someone would have been a good idea on how to make short sequences of CFC holds.

--------
Pete

Not sure I get how SFC's are "wasted" on short sequences. Seems like you're just being arbitrary in your programming style. Why should one project have two ways of doing a sequence?

However, I do have a suggestion if you want an alternative to SFC for sequencing. Write a custom block (or blocks) using SCL. Make it do whatever you like. I doubt you are going to get a very elegant solution using standard blocks.

Code like this should be kept to a minimum and documented thoroughly. And it should have a really good reason for existing in the first place.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC:

I agree with that, one program and one programming style. I do not explain the reasons for my question on the topic but just for clarification: those short sequences are intended for small, similar, independent, operational entities. Reason or another, SFC is not always an ideal choice for everywhere.
Simple is beautiful ....​

Thanks for all..​