DeviceNet Question

Austin79

Hello all,

Maybe somebody could advise on a small issue. I wish to set up some explicit messaging to a device on an existing working DeviceNet network.There are 10 drives AB and ABB on the network which can be seen when browsed on DNetworx. Two devices are recognized but the other eight are "Unrecognized devices" which require the eds files.
Can I register these devices online without putting the processor into remote prog.
1756-L61 processor with a 1756-DNB scanner using v16.03 logix5000.

Thanks....

Hello all,

Maybe somebody could advise on a small issue. I wish to set up some explicit messaging to a device on an existing working DeviceNet network.There are 10 drives AB and ABB on the network which can be seen when browsed on DNetworx. Two devices are recognized but the other eight are "Unrecognized devices" which require the eds files.
Can I register these devices online without putting the processor into remote prog.
1756-L61 processor with a 1756-DNB scanner using v16.03 logix5000.

Thanks....

you can download EDS file without changing plc mode, in order to register and map your drives into scanner memory you have to change to program mode.

EDS files are entirely for use by RSLinx and RSNetworx for DeviceNet software on your PC; they have no effect on the Scanner or the slave devices.

For Allen-Bradley variable-speed drives, you can download the EDS files automatically or manually from the A-B web server, or you can create them by uploading from the drive itself.

I do not know how Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) handles their EDS files.

EDS files are not necessary for the 1756-DNB to send an explicit message to a device, but they might be your best source for the object definition (Class, Instance, Attribute) of a particular object to which you plan to send a message.