Slc Logic Help

The Plc Kid

Guys

I am modifying a program and I have run into a snag. I am working with a slc 5/04 processor and I programmed the attached logic. The problem I am having is that when one of the high level switches is active/on and it triggers my high level alarm active bit B3:0/6 and we wish to silence the alarm it does not seem to work.

When I press the I:4/7 silence Pb then the alarm ack coil B3:5/15 should have power flow and should seal itself in if my thinking is right. So when I release the silence Pb B3:5/15 should stay sealed in correct?

If it should then that is not happening. When I release the silence Pb B3:5/15 coil goes off. Is this right? Do I just not correctly understand how a seal in works? Or could it be something with the processor?

I have cross referenced B3:5/15 and it is only used in this one ladder and as an xic and an ote one of each so nothing else is changing its state.

Help please. I am really confused.

ScreenShot003.jpg

Is it possible that your trigger input is cycling on/off very rapidly. Turning off would release the alarm ack. But if it's cycling fast enough you may not notice the alarm bit momentarily being off.

Bernie

I thought about that and i forced the high level switch on to trigger the circuit.Then i forced on the alarm ack pb and it still will not stay sealed in.

By forcing through this i eliminated fast cycling of the high level switch.

I am almost thinking firmware or something but everything else is running well.

I am a very new programmer so i thought i was just making a rookie mistake.

Mickey

The company will not let me post the file.

I can give any info from it.

My boss uses this site sometimes and i don't want to get in trouble.

Nope i check the tag Db in the easytouch panel that it is connected to. No tags with that address used or unused.

The address is not used anywhere else in the plc program.

As long is i hold the silence/ack pb or force it on the circuit works correctly and silences the horn. but it will not seal itself in.

Maybe i can get the boss to let me post the .rss with no comments. Would that help? I just don't know what else to check.

my boss seems to thing i set it up wrong.He thinks just because i am 18 that i can't know what i am doing.I am glad to hear that it is not a rookie mistake. I have been second guessing myself all day.

Thanks

Look for any indirects:

B3:5/[xxx]
B3:[xxx]/15
B3:[xxx]/[yyy]

The search won't pick up any effect of these.

Also any whole word access:

B3:5

Your 'working while held' implies that the bit is somehow being turned off prior to that point in the program.

my boss seems to thing i set it up wrong.He thinks just because i am 18 that i can't know what i am doing.I am glad to hear that it is not a rookie mistake. I have been second guessing myself all day.

Well he may have a point there. Although I was pretty smart when I was 18. I was even smarter at 16, just ask my dad.

We are using a lot of indirect addressing in this program.

Why will search not pickup indirects?

What about the usage screen. will it show indirects as used?

I typically let logix auto assign the next unused bit so in doing this is it possible for logix to assign a bit that is used as an indirect?

If it has no way to find indirects how would it know not to auto assign a particular bit?

I am trying to understand the inner workings of logix so i do not get bitten like this.

Indirects

We are using a lot of indirect addressing in this program.

Bernie is on the right track.
Indirects will not show in search and will not show in usage and will not prevent conflict when allowing RS500 to choose next unused address. They will show in cross-reference but, that is not very useful. See image below.

Not likely firmware issue.

SLC_Indirect.jpg