RSView32 and RSLinx Pro

plcnewbie2009

I am running Control Logix, RSLinx Pro (v: 2.40.01), with RSView32 (v: 6.30.17) and my display has no data. My driver (ETHERNET) is properly configured and browsing. My topic and channel are set. Node is set to topic. My tag monitor is returning stale and error messages. I tried everything: created new Node (OPC Server-local). My question, should the controller key be set to RUN or REM (remote)? Do I need to configure DCOM. My setup looks like this:

Channel: 1
Network Type: TCP/IP
Primary Communication Driver: AB_ETH-1
Active Driver:primary

Data Source: OPC Server
Name: Chris (enabled)
Server Name: RSLinx OPC Server
Server Type: Local
Access Path: (blank)

Tag Database (added)
Scan Class (default)

The Channel setting is not necessary. The OPC Server does not use the Channel or Scan Class settings in RSView32.

We need to verify that you have RSLinx set up properly before we do anything in RSView32.

Step #1: In RSLinx have you gone in and created your Ethernet driver? Presumably you have since we see AB_ETH-1 as a driver name.

Step #2: In RSLinx have you created a DDE/OPC Topic? The name should be a name to identify your PLC. Have you browsed using your ethernet driver and pointed to your specific PLC and then applied?

The PLC keyswitch can be in any position to communicate with RSView32.

Let's get the basics under control before we blame/troubleshoot DCOM.

OG

Already configured Etherner Driver in RSLinx and also created DDE/OPC Topic in RSLinx and browsed topic name to controller. My key is set to RUN. My topic and project names are different. I am using this system locally (everything is in the same room: controller & Display).

Last edited:
Can you post a screenshot of your Node configuration and one of your tags configuration?

Not sure if your version has this or not, but check and see if you have the Rockwell Software Data Client. I think in earlier versions it may have been called the OPC Test client or something like that. It is a great tool to see if OPC is working.

OG

Ok, so first impressions:

On the Node Configuration change the type to In-Process. That should have been selected automatically when you selected RSLinx as the OPC Server.

In the Tag configuration it looks like you have mixed in a bracket and a paranthesis. Don't type the name in this field. Use the button on the right to open the OPC Tag Browser and browse for the tag. This will have the added benefit of confirming if your OPC Server is working properly.

But the biggest problem is your RSLinx OPC Topic. It is simply pointing to the ethernet. You must drill down further and select the actual CPU that this topic should connect to.

OPC_Type.JPG Tag_Device.JPG

Thanks OG!
I changed the type to "In-Process" In the tag browser I cannot browse any tags. (what can be the cause?). I set the topic to the CPU. I have included some screen shots. Please advise! I am so anxious to get this working I hope I am not making unnecessary mistakes.

Questions: The processor is 1756-L55 or 1756-ENBT/A?

I am electrical/ telecom engineer looking for a career change. If my questions seem stupid, please have some patience.

rsz_tag_browser.jpg rsz_tag_monitor.jpg rsz_topic_1.jpg

We're getting closer!

In RSLinx when you create your topic, it needs to point to the CPU which would be the 1756-L55. Make sure you redo your topic to point to this.

Don't bother with the Tag Monitor until you can successfully browse your tags. If "A" doesn't work, no sense testing "B".

OG

On my Network module (1756 ENBT\A) my NET indicator is flashing, which would indicate "IP obtained but no connections". This is strange because I am able to browse my I/Os via RSWho. I am able to ping the IP for the controller. I am using a cross-over ethernet cable. I am assuming that's the reason I cannot browse my tags. Should I change my cable (new cross-over or use straight through)?

Should I use EthernetIP instead of Ethernet as my driver?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16536&highlight=ethernet+connections

Binaural post: "You need to create a node in RSView32 to talk to this topic you just created. Create a new node - the type should be "OPC Server". The type is "local" for machines with only a local client. I have not specified an access path, left blank. THen enter a node name which is the same as the topic name which is the same as the topic you set up in RSLinx Gateway. Finally, the node must be ticked as enabled".

My two sense "I thought the Node and Topic names were supposed to be different".

If you can browse in RSLinx and see the devices then it is working just fine. No need to change your RSLinx driver. The NET indicator is fine as it is.

The Topic name you created in RSLinx does not have to match the Node name in RSView32. They can match or they can be different.

OG

I will get back to you. I think my PC is at fault, because now I cannot browse anything and I cannot ping the controller. I had a power outage and upon resumption, I started having problems. I check my mother board and saw some swollen capacitors. I will change PC and let you know what happens. Can I export my tags from my PC to new one? Thanks a million OG.

Driver configurations: Station 0. Should this field have any data or left blank? I assigned my ENBT IP to station 0 and I need to know if this is correct. I left station 1 blank.

My controller (L55) is in slot 0, ENBT in slot 1 and various I/Os from slot 2 through slot 11.