SVX9000 on DeviceNet

phuz

We are having some real trouble getting these drives up and running on devicenet. For some reason, we can't even get RSNetWorx to see the devicenet module itself (from one of the computers). From the one that can see the DNB module, we are getting "Address XX cannot be located on the network" and also "the device at address XX has experienced an identity communication error." When trying to view this devicenet module from my laptop in networx, I simply add the 1756-DNB module in the graph, and set the node number to 63, because that is how it is appearing in Linx. When I go ONLINE, it has a question mark and if I right-click and choose upload from device, the state goes from question mark to the minus.

Do you have the EDS file installed?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=23665&highlight=svx9000

Although it sounds more basic then this. Do you have power going to the DeviceNet plug? There are the 5 wires for DeviceNet, but it ALSO requires a seperate 24vDC supply (usually dedicated to the DeviceNet network)

Also, how and where is it connected? Is the rest of the DeviceNet OK? It maybe be a problem with the terminating cap at the end of the trunk line.

Sometimes I have had to cycle power after "commisioning" a node to get it to come up.

I downloaded the EDS file from Eaton Hammer directly for the SVX9000 drives. I was only able to find one, so I assumed that was it. The devicenet status on the HIM says 0.0 which means non-existent or no power, so we are checking the 24v right now.

We checked at the DeviceBox and we have 24v but only 2.5v at the OPTC7 card, so we traced it back to the T-taps. We get 24v at the end of the T, but only 2.5v at the bottom of the T.

I have heard that these are active componenets and can go bad. I know it just looks like a tee but there is some magic smoke in there that might have gotten out!

Get the network physical installation right, then get the node numbering and data rate right, and only then move on to RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

Make sure that you are measuring the correct pins; the voltage between Red and Black should be +24V, but the voltage between one of the signal wires (blue or white) and ground may be around 2.5 volts average (it's a fast digital signal, after all). Most t-taps are purely passive; there was a thread here recently where somebody had ABB power products that built a slave adapter into the physical footprint of a tap.

To check the termination, turn off the 24V DeviceNet power and measure the resistance between the blue and white wires. If you get around 60 ohms, you're in good shape, otherwise you will have to find the termination resistors and get them right.

Most DeviceNet products come out of the box at Node 63, so you don't want to have the scanner or any other general purpose device occupying that node number, or it will conflict with defaulted devices.

Use the DeviceNet Node Commissioning Tool (can be launched from within RSNetworx for DeviceNet or separately) to set the 1756-DNB to Node 00 (the usual scanner node) or something other than Node 63, and plug in just one of your drives.

For help with RSNetworx for DeviceNet, try to be very specific about what steps you have taken and exactly what you are seeing on the screen. Do you have an offline file that contains all your node configurations, or are you starting online with an empty file ?

It turns out the electricians had the wires rolled and you were exactly right. We were reading between signal and ground. No biggie, we reversed them and tested one of the drives, and it works; however, I am still unable to browse the DeviceNet through Networx on my laptop, but on another computer, its fine.
I have the DNB module as well as the 5 VFDs addressed. As soon as I go online, they all get question marks. If I choose continuous browsing, it doesn't change, and I keep getting the error: "The device at address 63 has experienced an identity communications error (80040154). Upload failed." when I try to "upload from device."

It will actually say that for all devices if I chooose Network -> Upload from Network.
I have the same eds file as the other computer. At a minimum, it should have no trouble recognizing the DNB module.

Furthermore, if I go to Tools > Node Commissioning, and drill down to the DeviceNet DNB module at Node 63 on the DeviceNet, I get this:
"Error opening connection to this device. Error code = 0x80040154. Online operations will not be possible for this device. Please make sure that the device is connected to the network and try again."

Last edited:
What are the codes/messages scrolling across the 1756-DNB display ?

You should at least be able to set the node number and data rate of the 1756-DNB module using nothing but RSLinx and the Node Commissioning Tool.

To confirm: can at least one of the PCs in your system browse the DeviceNet and "see" all the drives and the 1756-DNB properly ? Could you post a screenshot of this ?

Yes, there is another PC that has no problem browsing the network.

Here is a screenshot after I attempt to go ONLINE and then UPLOAD FROM NETWORK.

DNB_prob.jpg

It turns out the electricians had the wires rolled and you were exactly right. We were reading between signal and ground. No biggie, we reversed them and tested one of the drives, and it works; however, I am still unable to browse the DeviceNet through Networx on my laptop, but on another computer, its fine.
I have the DNB module as well as the 5 VFDs addressed. As soon as I go online, they all get question marks. If I choose continuous browsing, it doesn't change, and I keep getting the error: "The device at address 63 has experienced an identity communications error (80040154). Upload failed." when I try to "upload from device."

It will actually say that for all devices if I chooose Network -> Upload from Network.
I have the same eds file as the other computer. At a minimum, it should have no trouble recognizing the DNB module.

Furthermore, if I go to Tools > Node Commissioning, and drill down to the DeviceNet DNB module at Node 63 on the DeviceNet, I get this:
"Error opening connection to this device. Error code = 0x80040154. Online operations will not be possible for this device. Please make sure that the device is connected to the network and try again."

Because you say you can browse the DeviceNet on one computer just fine, but your laptop will not, the problem is the laptop. You say you have the same EDS files, did you install them properly? Using the EDS wizard? You can't just copy them into the directory, that will mess things up.

You can stop at the "all question marks". You need to fix that before going further. This is usually an EDS file problem. However, more data will certainly help. Are the two computers configured identically as far as RSNetworx is concerned? Same version? What version is it? Did you set both computers up?

EDIT:
I see the screen shot now (posted while I was writing), I assume that is for the laptop? Because I see a bunch of error messages. What I don't see is question marks for the devices, so scrap what I said above.

Last edited:
Both computers have the same Rockwell software, and it is CPR 9 SR 1 for the RSNetworx stuff. The EDS files were installed using the EDS installation tool for both machines. The 1756-DNB eds files were already installed with the Rockwell software so we didn't even have to add those, and I am showing a question mark for that, too (shown in pic).

The other machine can upload/download, etc. to the network just fine, but I can't even get through to the DNB module. Linx sees it just fine (revision for the DNB is 10.005) but that's about it.

I just checked the other computer and it can browse AND see all the drives in Linx...and mine does not. I can see the Node 63 DNB module but no drives, and it just sits there saying "Browsing Network" without cycling through all the nodes as you would expect.

Last edited:
I keep getting the error: "The device at address 63 has experienced an identity communications error (80040154). Upload failed." when I try to "upload from device."

As Eddie pointed out earlier, leaving your scanner at node 63 is asking for trouble. All off the shelf devices are set to node 63, you should not use it in your configuration. I usually set my scanner to 0. To eliminate the chance that there is another device at 63, change the scanner node.

The last time I set up a 1756-DNB, there was a button on the front that let you set the baud rate and the node number. If 24VDC power is not connected, it sets the baud rate. If 24VDC power is connected, it sets the node number. Press it and be ready to take your finger off as soon as the display changes to 0. If you miss, you have to hold it while it cycles back to 63. Been there, done that, got the dent in the tip of my finger.

Something else that may help...
Are you trying to go on-line with a *.dnt file you already made? When I am troubleshooting, I always go on-line with a new blank configuration. I navigate to the DNB module and let the software browse the network and tell me what is there.

One more comment on EDS files. You said you had the same files on both computers. Did you check for new EDS files for the scanner too?

OK, changed the DNB module to Node 0.
I did check the Rockwell site for new eds files and grabbed the latest. It's the same as what we already have, unfortunately.

So after changing the node from the other machine, I re-tried to view the DeviceNet in my RSLinx, and sure enough the node number changed to 00, but it just sits there "Browsing Network" and won't list any of the drives. I am guessing that since I can't even browse the DeviceNet in Linx, that is the reason I can't see it in RSNetworx.

I tried your method of creating a new config file...no luck.

Both computers have the same Rockwell software, and it is CPR 9 SR 1 for the RSNetworx stuff. The EDS files were installed using the EDS installation tool for both machines. The 1756-DNB eds files were already installed with the Rockwell software so we didn't even have to add those, and I am showing a question mark for that, too (shown in pic).

The other machine can upload/download, etc. to the network just fine, but I can't even get through to the DNB module. Linx sees it just fine (revision for the DNB is 10.005) but that's about it.

I just checked the other computer and it can browse AND see all the drives in Linx...and mine does not. I can see the Node 63 DNB module but no drives, and it just sits there saying "Browsing Network" without cycling through all the nodes as you would expect.

OK, we are typing past each other, so it's a bit confusing.

Something I am having trouble with is the picture you posted, doesn't quite match what you are describing. You keep saying you see question marks, but I don't see any in the picture. Are the question marks in RSLinx?

It sure is beginning to look like this is not a DeviceNet problem. It seems to be more a problem of RSLinx talking to the DNB. If that's not working, RSNetworx can't work. I'm assuming that you can go on-line with the ControlLogix processor OK from the laptop right? If so RSLinx should be working.

Last edited: