PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost slightly OT

gas
June 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
What do you guys prefer for backing up your hard drive?
Two crashes in a short time got me looking at this seriously.
Thanks

JesperMP
June 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I use Acronis True Image.
Works well for me.
Dont have much experience with other backup packages.

However, for customer PCs, I have occasionally arranged to have a full harddisk cloned and ready to swap. Just in case the harddisk fails. Even if you have a backup-DVD it takes some time to restore a full harddisk that way. With the backup HD you can be up and running in minutes.
For this purpose I have used Paragon drive backup. I have no particular reason why I have this software and not some other.
Thinking how cheap HDs are, I think that I would actually use this method for backup if crashing HDs were an issue for me.

Operaghost
June 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I have used Norton/Symantec Ghost for years on computers I use for training purposes. I use Ghost 2003 and Ghost Corporate. I have not cared for the newer versions as for what I need they are overkill.

I prefer Ghost 2003 because I can boot directly into it using DOS and take a complete partition or drive image and save it to another hard drive, USB drive, network share or CD/DVD. Other programs install in Windows and leave a "footprint". When you make a backup and then later restore you are restoring that program and it's "footprint" as well. This could be a licensing issue. I prefer to leave no trace of the imaging software and by running from DOS I can do that.

Others I'm sure work well, but for my needs, Ghost 2003 works best.

OG

MikeW
June 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I use Ghost for all my in-plant backup, do not have many off site applications. Started recently backing up directly to servers so that my IT department has to make sure they are available when needed/ I don't need to worry about another hard drive failure/ DVD storage.

Always use from a booting version so there is no "footprint" of the program on the backed up data. Besides, It's good to use an old DOS interface occasionally to remember how far we have come.

rdrast
June 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I second Acronis TrueImage. Symantec products are essentially banned from this site.

gas
June 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys.
I will look at Acronis.

stevez
June 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Operaghost , if you didn't use ghost it would be suprising .

dmroeder
June 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Download Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and use the EaseUS utility. Works great for us and it's free. Plus the CD has all kinds of other cool utilities on it.

dmroeder
June 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I second Acronis TrueImage. Symantec products are essentially banned from this site.

They should be banned from life! [/tough guy talk]

surferb
June 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
What's wrong with Ghost?

Operaghost
June 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Operaghost , if you didn't use ghost it would be suprising .

Ok, took me a while to get that!

OG

derrick2006
June 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
i used norton ghost, very easy to use.. try it..

Joel Mancilla
June 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm using Acronis True Image, easy and reliable.

rdrast
June 17th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Ghost has too many incompatible versions, fails miserably with RAID arrays, insists on (as all Symantec products do) taking over the system and running in the background as a service no matter what, has trouble spanning images, can't do double-target images... don't get me started.

Operaghost
June 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
can't do double-target images

Is that like double-secret probation? Are you referring to what Norton calls "Ghostcasting".

Curious what you mean though by "trouble spanning images"

OG

The Plc Kid
June 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I do a lot of drive imaging and ghost has failed me many times with incompatible versions I.E made a backup in version 11 and can not restore with version 12.

Corrupt images,etc.

Tried acronis too and it is okay but true image 2008 bites the try and decide feature can crash you system and the secure zone feature is damaging also.

I now use shadowprotect desktop.It is rock solid and simple when acronis and ghost started with all the other features that really were not about drive imaging then the products started downhill.

They try to port it as file backup software,imaging software and rollback software.

I use shadow protect and rollback rx/deep freeze on all our systems and pc based hmi systems and panel pc's

surferb
June 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
'fraid I might need to get you started...I'm not sure we're talking about the same product

1. Incompatible versions? Of Ghost? What does that mean?
2. Fails with RAID Arrays~probably true. It's a low level operation - that's not how you should back up RAID arrays.
3. Takes over the system - isn't that what you want when imaging drives?
4. Trouble spanning images - please clarify
5. Ghostcast is their version of a 1 to many image process. It works fine in my experience.

The Plc Kid
June 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
'fraid I might need to get you started...I'm not sure we're talking about the same product

1. Incompatible versions? Of Ghost? What does that mean?
2. Fails with RAID Arrays~probably true. It's a low level operation - that's not how you should back up RAID arrays.
3. Takes over the system - isn't that what you want when imaging drives?
4. Trouble spanning images - please clarify
5. Ghostcast is their version of a 1 to many image process. It works fine in my experience

1.0 If you make a backup in one version and try to restore that backup later with a newer version( a couple years later )sometimes it does not port over or sometimes sectors are corrupted.

2.0 I do not use ghost with raid arrays. i use server class imaging products from acronis in the past and shadow protect now.

3.0 Spanning images is putting the hd image accross multiple disks or multiple files and sometimes with ghost this fails when you try to restore.

I have just over 1100 imaages on file that i manage so i do it a lot. That is why i have tried them all.

I am glad that have had success with ghost. I did also to a degree but it just failed me more than i could justify.

Ghost is very sloe compared to acronis and shadow. I did benchmarks on all 3.

Acronis in the past and shadow are better products IMHO.

Operaghost
June 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't want this to degenerate into a "mine is better than yours" but I have a question about Acronis because I truly don't know the answer to this.

I have a customer's computer that is up and running and I want to take that hard drive and clone it "just in case". Can Acronis do that outside of Windows? In other words, I don't want to install anything on that computer.

Today I can boot up that machine using a CD/DVD,USB, even a floppy and have it come up in DOS (or PC-DOS, or FreeDOS) and perform the clone function using Ghost. When done I reboot that computer and there is no trace of Ghost on that machine. Further, if I ever have to switch to the cloned drived there is no trace of Ghost on that drive either.

Again, just curious. I'm glad Acronis works great for you. For me Ghost does exactly what I need and does it well

OG

Operaghost
June 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I may have answered my own question as I went and downloaded the User Manual. Looks like it can do this although that isn't the intent or the preferred method (actually third choice!). It's intent is much broader protection and backup which is not at all what I require but which is perfect for backing up your home PC and your typical users.

But to be fair the newest versions of Ghost have that same focus (or in my opinion: flaw).

OG

Paully's5.0
June 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I use Acronis 2009 and it's great!

I do two things, have my OS partitioned with all my software, I make an image of that every 2-3 weeks. Takes maybe 10 min to backup 20 gigs on that partition. I also have a data partition which contains all my work files, PLC programs, HMI programs, my documents....which syncs to servers at work every day for backup.

You can create a boot CD which does have drivers to recognize USB 2.0 hard drives and ESATA drives and allows you to create/restore images without installing any software on the computer. You can also create/restore images within windows, I've used both methods and have yet to have a problem.

Find what works for you!

rdrast
June 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I have a customer's computer that is up and running and I want to take that hard drive and clone it "just in case".

OG

Well, I do many images over the network, but in almost all cases, my "BaseLine-Running Image" is usually taken by removing the drive from the host PC, and using a USB to IDE/SATA converter box (about $30 or so) to do the image.

After that, the only thing that gets updated regularly are the application files, and that runs remotely on a schedule.

And The PLC Kid expanded on my other comments nicely.

The Plc Kid
June 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
OG

You can boot from the acronis cd and do a backup without installation.

Shadow protect also has a service edition that will run from the cd. So you have a windows interface but no installation needed. No footprint.This is geared for traveling IT work and such.Perfect for what you describe.