Norton Ghost slightly OT

gas

What do you guys prefer for backing up your hard drive?
Two crashes in a short time got me looking at this seriously.
Thanks

I use Acronis True Image.
Works well for me.
Dont have much experience with other backup packages.

However, for customer PCs, I have occasionally arranged to have a full harddisk cloned and ready to swap. Just in case the harddisk fails. Even if you have a backup-DVD it takes some time to restore a full harddisk that way. With the backup HD you can be up and running in minutes.
For this purpose I have used Paragon drive backup. I have no particular reason why I have this software and not some other.
Thinking how cheap HDs are, I think that I would actually use this method for backup if crashing HDs were an issue for me.

I have used Norton/Symantec Ghost for years on computers I use for training purposes. I use Ghost 2003 and Ghost Corporate. I have not cared for the newer versions as for what I need they are overkill.

I prefer Ghost 2003 because I can boot directly into it using DOS and take a complete partition or drive image and save it to another hard drive, USB drive, network share or CD/DVD. Other programs install in Windows and leave a "footprint". When you make a backup and then later restore you are restoring that program and it's "footprint" as well. This could be a licensing issue. I prefer to leave no trace of the imaging software and by running from DOS I can do that.

Others I'm sure work well, but for my needs, Ghost 2003 works best.

OG

Last edited:
I use Ghost for all my in-plant backup, do not have many off site applications. Started recently backing up directly to servers so that my IT department has to make sure they are available when needed/ I don't need to worry about another hard drive failure/ DVD storage.

Always use from a booting version so there is no "footprint" of the program on the backed up data. Besides, It's good to use an old DOS interface occasionally to remember how far we have come.

Last edited:
Ghost has too many incompatible versions, fails miserably with RAID arrays, insists on (as all Symantec products do) taking over the system and running in the background as a service no matter what, has trouble spanning images, can't do double-target images... don't get me started.