Browsing Controlnet to SLC Processor

SNK

My question:

Is it possible, with some particular device that I can communicate and go-online with the SLC 5/05 processor, through the controlnet network?

I am working in an awful location in which I have multiple LGX5K processors talking on a Controlnet network, with the addition of an SLC5/05.

In that Controlnet network, I am talking to a 1747-SCNR, residing in the SLC rack, (processor is a SLC5/05)

In RSLINX, I can browse through any Logix processor rack, and see the 1747-SCNR, but cannot browse through that to the processor.

Otherwise, I will have to run a length of Ethernet cable back to another switch in order to communicate via ethernet. (I would like to avoid that)

Thanks for your replies in advance.

The ControlNet implementation for the SLC-500 is modular, with three modules for each function.

I/O Scanner: 1747-SCNR
I/O Adapter: 1747-ACNR
Messaging: 1747-KFC15

There was never an SLC-5/0x controller with a ControlNet daughtercard, and to "get online" with an SLC you need the 1747-KFC15 which acted as a ControlNet/DF1 bridge to the SLC's serial port.

Realistically, you can add a 1747-KFC15 or run the Ethernet cable.

Thanks Eddie.

It just seems odd to me that I can browse everything on controlnet, right to the processors, with the exception of the SLC platform processors.

One of the major differences between the SLC and the ControlLogix architectures is that the SLC backplane is strictly an I/O scanning subsystem, while the ControlLogix backplane is foremost a communication bridge.

A lot of people who have become accustomed to Logix bridging over the past 12 years or so forget that the PLC-5 and SLC-500 architectures provided very little channel-to-channel or backplane connectivity.

If you have an Ethernet port from a ControlLogix that is near the SLC, you can connect up to that switch and browse ControlNet -> Backplane -> Ethernet -> SLC. You just have to configure RSLinx/RSWho manually to browse the "remote IP" address of the SLC controller.

Otherwise I think your original plan to run an Ethernet cable to the SLC is going to be the way to go.

If you have an Ethernet port from a ControlLogix that is near the SLC, you can connect up to that switch and browse ControlNet -> Backplane -> Ethernet -> SLC. You just have to configure RSLinx/RSWho manually to browse the "remote IP" address of the SLC controller.

Ken, I am connected through the controlLogix Ethernet card, can browse through the Controlnet cards, can browse to the 1747 Scanner card, but cannot see the processor that resides in that rack.

Am I not understanding you correctly, or should I be able to get online with the SLC?

You cannot get online with the SLC-5/05 via the 1747-SCNR. It is an I/O scanner only.

A 1747-KFC15 would allow you to get online with the SLC-5/05 controller by bridging ControlNet to the serial port.

If your PC had been connected directly to ControlNet and needed a closer Ethernet port, my suggestion about going CNet -> ENet -> 5/05 would work. Since you're already on the Ethernet, you need to run an Ethernet link or add a 1747-KFC15.