Modifying CLX Axis Motor Catalog #

deadgecko

Does anyone have an idea how to modify the motor catalog # of an axis in a CLX processor? Is there some sort of CIP message to do this? I was thinking that I should be able to use a SSV to do it, but the Motor ID is not one of the attribute names for a class name of AXIS.

See the attached screencap for more info. Basically I need to change the highlighted selection via logic (online) and not have a user select the motor type offline and re-download the program.

CLX Axis Motor.jpg

You must add the new motion catalog to the folder of RSL5K.
Also see attachment for what to do next. I had to do this a long time ago, so this is what I remember.
Hope it helps.:geek:

Loading the motor catalog number is not the important thing. The motor catalog number just lets RSLogix5000 access a database of parameters associated with that motor. It's all those parameters which are important. If you could modify all the individual parameters which are associated with the changed motor then you have accomplished what you want (though I have no idea which parameters would have to be changed or how to do it). Just changing the catalog number has no meaning while running.

Bernie,

Agreed, the issue is all the motor parameters that the catalog # points to in the motion database. I have accomplished this in GML code (what a pain in the A$$). I was hoping for an easier way than writing a few dozen SSVs for each motor type that could be installed.

The original situation is due to Rockwell and their lovely way of making us buy their new motors (just make the old ones obsolete). The plants that I am supporting have a large number of the old 1326-AS motors that obsolete and may need to be replaced upon failure. The powers that be say I have to use an option bit that shift electricians can toggle to select the new motor or perfom a recipe download.

Ah - I feel for you then. "We want a program which will automatically do anything we ever think up in the future by pressing one button." Good luck with that.