Importing RS500 to RS5

godfrey

Can a project written with RS 500 be imported or converted to open on RS 5?
We are bidding on a job where they want a PLC5/20. We have a standard program written for the SLC platform which we want to be able to open with RS 5 and load onto a PLC 5..

in most cases, the best that you can do is Copy and Paste the rungs from RSLogix500 into RSLogix5 ... this will at least give you the basic structure of the rungs ...

the I/O addresses will be different ... usually you can use the Search and Replace feature to change the addresses over - and in many cases, that same feature will transfer the descriptions (comments, etc.) over to the new addresses ...

some instructions (example: OSR/ONS) do not tranfer directly over - so you'll have to tweak things here and there ...

if analog inputs/outputs are being used, the PLC-5 system is probably going to be more challenging than the SLC syatem ...

I agree with Ron Beaufort. Cut and past. Besides some instruction differences (the OSR/ONS one being the biggest hassle) the I/O addressing is quite different. Also, if I remember correctly, some indirect addressing may become an issue: SLC's allow for bit level manipulation, PLC5's do not.

Anyway, using cut and paste, you'll be able to go through the program rung by run dealing with this stuff as it comes up. Hopefully you buffered the I/O in the SLC before logic manipulation. This would make it a lot easier.