Integration of PLC-5/40E and CPU-315F over Ethernet

darshana821

Hi All,

I am working on a project where I am integrating two different PLCs on a single network. I want to know how can I access I/O points of PLC-5 in my safety program from CPU-315F.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Darshana

I to not recal if the AB PLC supports modbus TCP but I know that with the correct module the Siemens PLC will. You would then be able to have each PLC talk to the other. The other option is to use a bridging software to read the data from one and write it to the other via the OPC servers.

Kepware has its KepserverEX and LinkMaster to do this.

SofwareToolbox has Topserver and LinkMaster or OPCDataHub.

Matrion also has products.

I think JesperMP is asking a sensible question, my reaction was the same.
If you want to use signals in a safety system then those signals should be designed for safety.
Dragging in signals from a non safety system requires great caution. Even connecting a network to a safety system must be carefully considered in case it should undermine the integrity of the system.

actually entire system architecture is divided into safety and non-safety control systems. The process control is done by non-safety plc i.e. PLC-5/40E. and I will be connecting all safety sensors to safety PLC. In case of faults detected by safety sensors, the safety program should shut down the system partially or completely. Now, to send the shut down signals, I need to access, I/Os of non-safety PLC in the safety program. (for eg. Robot ESTOP command signal is connected through non-safety PLC output channel).

I have seen Guardlogix PLC programming structure. It has two different programs one for safety and another for normal operation and normal I/Os can be accessed in safety program. But in my case, I have two separate PLCs for these tasks and need to access I/Os of non-safety PLC in the safety program to take control of fault condition.

You say that the system is separated into a non-safety part and a safety part.
And then you say "(for eg. Robot ESTOP command signal is connected through non-safety PLC output channel)." ?!

right!...all robot I/Os (including ESTOP input) are connected to a non-safety PLC and all safety sensors such as light curtains are connected to safety PLC. When the safety signal is detected by a safety program, I want to stop the Robot. but it can be done only through the ESTOP input which is connected to a non-safety PLC output channel.

Is there a way to access this output channel in safety program?

I hope I am clear this time. Feel free to ask questions if its not clear.

I am puzzled that there is a single channel input in the robot called "ESTOP".
Other robots I have seen my collegues work with have any number of interlocks, so it sounds odd that there is just that one input and it is called "ESTOP".

Back to the question regarding connecting the safety part of the S7 PLC with the AB PLC.
It is not possible.
It is not even possible to connect the normal S7 program with the AB PLC.
The two PLCs do not support the same protocols, regardless of that they have ethernet ports.

There are a number of ways of connecting them together via Profibus or DF1, but for just one interlock signal I think you should just use a regular interlock relay.

And when you do so, I would suggest that you do it with 2 channels, and that via a contactor with forcibly guided contacts (horrible translation of "zwangsführten kontakten").
edit: To be precise, the contactor should be controlled by contacts in the safety relay or safety PLC. Not via a regular output in one of the PLCs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

It is a very old robot from IBM series 7545. It has a dedicated ESTOP input to cut the manipulator power to the robot controller.

Robot ESTOP was just an example, I need to implement such 10-12 test cases for my project. Should I still work with 2 channel relay contacts or shud buy hardware module to connect two CPUs together.

It is a very old robot from IBM series 7545
"Robot" can be many things. But most robots I have seen are treated as if they are automated murder machines. That means fencing in, doors with safety contacts, safety circuits to cat 3 or cat 4. Maybe your robot is not so dangerous but I cannot know it. You should know what the words "risk analysis" means. That the robot is old is no excuse. It may be a technical problem that the old control system doesnt have the proper safety bult-in, but if you change an automated system today, it must be brought up to current standards.
It sounds as if you are the responsible person.
You should look for if it fulfills cat 3 or cat 4. If it does not, you may have to modify it to achieve it.

It has a dedicated ESTOP input to cut the manipulator power to the robot controller.
Does that mean it is intended to stop the robot safely ? Or is it merely an indication that an E-stop is active ?

Sorry for being so tight-a***d about it, but I am trying to keep you out of trouble.

yes, i have already considered risk analysis and will be implementing cat3 to cat 4 configuration for almost all of the safety controls.

In case of Robot ESTOP, this input will be used to just stop the robot and it can only be restarted when the fault conditions are cleared (and ESTOP input is 0) and power is switched ON again. I can monitor all these conditions in my error clear program to ensure safety.

yes, ...will be implementing cat3 to cat 4 configuration for almost all of the safety controls...

No not this way never. Do it all or do nothing. If you make system that looks like it is safe, but actually has holes big as jupiter in it, someone will eventually get hurt.