Know_how_protect

rdwg08

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the KNOW_HOW_PROTECT off of a siemens file? When I open a block that is protected it gives you a message that the block is protected. And when you go into the help it says to remove the KNOW_HOW_PROTECT. How do i get rid of that? If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

blocked.jpg

I believe that the only way to open the file is if you have the original source code for that block. It has been a while since I used that feature.

Methods of bypassing source code protection and passwords are a forbidden subject here.

Intellectual property protection is a legal minefield. Like it or not, OEMs frequently protect their source code and no one else has a right to that source code without their permission. If you are the owner of the source code and you can demonstrate that fact then the PLC manufacturer can provide you assistance.

i understand that this is not something you normally do however the programmer before me is the originator or the code and he has since quit and went back to Germany. so ther is no way i can get a hold of him. but in order to keep our shop running smooth i need to make some changer to the logic. but most of the logic is protected. and that makes my job harder. and with the ecnomic state of michigan, when asked to do something i am really not in a position to say i can't. so if anyone can help please let me know. this is the 2nd time they have asked me to make a change to a file that is protected and i really have to find a way. again thank you all.

Unfortunately for you, it's working exactly like it's intended to. You might try contacting your local Siemens support center, but be prepared to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove you're indeed the proper owner of the intellectual property and you have no other way to access the source code. They ~might~ help you.

i understand that this is not something you normally do however the programmer before me is the originator or the code and he has since quit and went back to Germany. so ther is no way i can get a hold of him. but in order to keep our shop running smooth i need to make some changer to the logic. but most of the logic is protected. and that makes my job harder. and with the ecnomic state of michigan, when asked to do something i am really not in a position to say i can't. so if anyone can help please let me know. this is the 2nd time they have asked me to make a change to a file that is protected and i really have to find a way. again thank you all.

I am sympathetic to the position you are in. It sucks. Unfortunatley, there isn't much that can be done without running afoul of IP protection laws. Do whatever you can to contact the original programmer and try and coax it out of him or contact Siemens tech support and jump through the hoops. You are going to have to explain it to your management in clear terms. In the future, if you contract specialty software and you are paying for the development of that software then write the contract to make it clear that you are the IP owner and that IP protection locks are not to be used in the software. Then during the check out time before system acceptance you verify that contract conditions have been met.

yes

yes i did i was asked back then to make a change but couldnt cause the logic was protected. again i am asked to do the same thing and again the logic is protected. so i thought i would try again. to see if i could get an answer. i know there is a way to do it i just dont have the knowledge at this point.