Ebay 1747-UIC...anybody used?

I would advise getting this from AB. I would bet that the item is, at most, a USB to RS485 convertor. The AB item is also a protocol converter (DF1 - DH485) with both RS232 and RS485 outputs.

Thanks for the help. I guess you get what you pay for! Is there any recommendation against finding another PIC module and using the UIC? I have no problems with the RS232 on the 5/03s we have, but the PIC has not been any use with either the 5/03s or L40s. I'm just looking for simple and cheap as I only do PLC work on the side here.

Another question I have is if there is a way to test the PIC to make sure it is really dead or not. RSLinx will not find it, but as much trouble as they are I would not want to buy another just to find out I had it configured incorrectly. I appreciate it!

My experience with the PIG is, that it will work if your computer is old enough that its using Windows 95 or 98.
Now I believe that this has to do with the Voltage that the Laptops uses to drive the real serial port, (the 9 pin D shell plug actually om the computer).
Like Okie says Windows Xp with SP3 is not supported

You can get this one :) HERE

The PIC's still work great if you have a need for them... It will work with XP see here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=43347

If you just need a cheaper work around to test, use any PC even a desktop with a real serial port or a laptop with a docking station and an after market 1747-PIC (I know of one :) ) and then your only out 30 bucks...

mrougeux,

One problem I ran into with windows XP and PIC was a conflict with another software that had control of the serial port and would not let RSLinx use it. RSLinx acted as if there was nothing attached to the serial port, but did not give any errors. You might check that if your computer has a real serial port.

We also have the UIC from AB, and as bernie_carlton says it does double duty(RS232 & RS485). The only thing I do not like about it and AB may have come out with a update/fix for is you have to find out which port windows assigned it too.

Larry

WOW... how could someone intentionally rip people off

If you click link in the first post... it now says that the cable does not support RSLinx

I had a friend buy one (before the listing said that) and they are correct it does not work... and they have sold a lot of them, but they do not work with RSLinx... what the hell would I want one for then.

I know I should not talk **** about one of my competition... but they do not work and this posting may save someone 60 bucks and pain in the *** :mad:

Actually it says "Do not support RSLinx." Maybe it's intended in the imperative sense!

I'll never get the chance to find out. I waited to find a good deal and have a new Allen-Bradley UIC on the way. I'll post the progress I make with my hardware setup

No problem with this connecting to a SLC 5/03, but the 1747-L40A is giving me trouble. I'm going to start a new thread with the problem.