FactoryTalk Trends (again!)

Robot_Man

Hi Folks, thanks to some good pointers previously I have set-up my Trend page within my FactoryTalk (Site Edition, Local running on PC), plus defined a Data Log Model listing my data sources, plus assigned my Trend page 'pens' to these sources within my Data Log Model. Also, under my 'server' properties/components I have ticked the box to start up Datalogging for my Data Log Model.

BUT - I still don't get anything at all on my Trend graph!

Anybody out there got an idea of what I'm doing wrong?? As I've said before, I can get 'real live data' and plot a graph but these values are not kept and the trace is lost once you navigate away.....

Also, under my 'server' properties/components I have ticked the box to start up Datalogging for my Data Log Model.

BUT - I still don't get anything at all on my Trend graph!

Anybody out there got an idea of what I'm doing wrong?? As I've said before, I can get 'real live data' and plot a graph but these values are not kept and the trace is lost once you navigate away.....

This is how I read what you have said.
The tick box you used, I believe only gets looked at during startup, so the computer either needs rebooted, or you need to go to the command line and enter start Datalog model.

There is an option to Run Startup Components on the Components under the Server properties. Even when I click that and get the message at the bottom of the screen that Data Log Model 'temps' is already running, still no joy....

I had this once and what I found was that some of the tags I had assigned to screen objects had a typo. The system knew this and posted error banners. I also got an error on bootup saying data log model not started.
After correcting all of the tags, the problem cleared. That is, I would get traces across a trend screen and I could navigate away and come back and the traces remained.

Hmmm... My tags were selected by browsing online and adding analogue input channels directly (x4) plus two internally derived values. This works when the Trend Data is set to 'live data'. I did the same when creating my Data Log Model with 'Poll Historical Data' selected as the Data Server on General of Trend Properties. My pens are selected by adding with Pen Source: Data Log Model. I am then adding ' /100 ' to the end of my Tag to make an expression effectively scaling my anaolgue values. This works elsewhere plus when set to Tag(Live Data).

The in-built 'Help' function is limited in it's usefulness...

Once this is cracked I need to add a logging facility for Faults so I guess another headache!

Keep smiling!

Changes to a datalog don't take affect until the log is restarted. Clicking the Run Startup Components won't stop the log, just start it, thats why its telling you that its already running. From the command line do a DataLogOff "your datalog", then restart it DataLogOff "your datalog".

Hi, When I have this issue at our plant, I go to server name and right click, go to properties and select components and Stop all running components, then wait few seconds, then I click run startup components. Usually will take a restart afterwards but sometimes not. Trends are usually a little frustrating!

Still going nowhere fast with this!

Here's another part to the jigsaw: When I create a Data Log Model, should I create just one with all the tags in for my 6 Trend displays or is it valid to create a Data Log model for each one? It's not my intention to start and stop each one, just let them (or one) roll on and gather weekly files overwriting after 12 months.

I know this won't solve my problem, however it would be nice to know!

The reason I ask is because under Server/Properties there only seems to be one Data Log Model name available??

Still having the same issue after turning the log off and then back on?

Yeah, you can create more than one. You can do this for organizing, using different log triggers or storage locations. Create a startup macro to turn them all on when the server starts or if you are using redundancy start the logs in an "on active" macro. Stop them in a separate shutdown or "on standby" (if using redundancy) macro.

I have PV+ but it may be similar
Do you have a flash memory card?
Is the datalog set to save data in the correct location?
Are your trends set to read from the datalog file, otherwise they just start from scratch as you describe.
If you have a flash card unplug it, put it in a computer or card reader to see if there are any files that were created when datalogger started. If so you're half way there.
Note: In the PV+ you cannot just use any old card, they only seem to recognize low capacity (64Mb) expensive ($100+) cards from AB (no files are created) The low capacity cards that were used in eary cameras may work.
Regards
Roy

Last edited:
Rockwell Automation RS View Studio / RS View SE

I have the same issue with my data logging and Historical data polling. What I found was that the date for historical data poll is jumping forward in the chart properties of the trending. If you look under the display tab you have to uncheck the allow scrolling, click OK at the bottom. This will close out your window, then you bring the window back up and go back to X-axis tab. Now you can edit the start date of your graph. This is a pain and that is how I found this forum. I was hoping you guys may of had an answer for this, I guess not.

make sure that you are not using a default PID graph. I have to go to my Pens Tab and turn off all existing Pens and then ADD FROM MODEL the exact same PEN. Once all of this is done I can then go back and look at past data in the trends. Can someone please help out with this issue. The date on the server is correct and the data files dates are correct, but the application itself jumps forward to a non-exsistant data file leaving me blank in my trends.

Last edited:
i have trend charts, upon trend charts upon trend charts, and i have never had a problem adding pens or anything like that. Except one, one little pen that has me pulling my hair out, it will only trend as long as you have the trend it is on open, navigate away from this trend chart and come back and it starts over again all the other pens trend just fine. I have noticed that one the value of the pen it has a ~ to the right of the value. any idea what has caused this?

I am actually having the same issue. The pens are set up OK. The datalog is set up. Everything is linked. But no matter what if you leave the screen and come back the trend starts from scratch. The trending and data logging has been a frequent headache for me.