Suggestion for a PLC

mailshriram

I need to buy a PLC for a small application, With 10 Outputs and 10 Inputs. I also need to be able to communicate between the PLC and the PC for a Small HMI program created using Intouch

I currently have a pico controller, but i guess that cannot talk to a PC for communication with HMI

Can anyone Please suggest me a PLC that is cheap and can do the Communication with the intouch with least expenditure

Any help woud be greatly appreciated

Thank you

There are a number of manufacturers out there that you could use, in the states obviously AB (1200) series or mitsubishi, the only thing is that you would probably have to buy an I/O server for intouch (not used it for a long time), If the pc was in the same area 232 comms would be fine, however if remote i.e. further than 20 yards away then it would make sense to use ethernet, you could purchase the net block for ab or if mitsi they also have a network card.
16 in 16 out type brick plc would suit you providing the program was not too complex.
I suggest you look at pricing of well known plc's that have good backup in the us.

Will a AB Micrologix 1100 work with a just a serial communication with wonderware intouch. the PC is going to be in the same area, so there is no need of ethernet.

Thank you

Will a AB Micrologix 1100 work with a just a serial communication with wonderware intouch. the PC is going to be in the same area, so there is no need of ethernet.

Thank you

Yes but... Same Area is a bit vague, unless speical cabling is used then you are limited to 50 feet. An 1100 can be set up for serial but you will lose the port for programing so you may want to set up the ethernet port.

MicroLogix 1100: 10 inputs, 6 outputs

Without adding additional hardware, I believe there are only six outputs available on an 1100. ML1100 info here.

There's info about I/O modules at the same link, so presumably you could add a 1762-IQ8OW6 combination digital I/O card.

Since I'm kinda new to PLC's in general, I could be wrong on this, but I trust the more experienced members of this forum will correct any bad information. The forum's been great to me, just trying to return the favor. (y)

-JJ

My favorite for small projects of this sort are the AutomationDirect.com products. Most models have Modbus RTU support, which means they can communicate with your SCADA software. The DL-06 looks like a good fit. They are very cost effective.

The MicrLogix series from Allen Bradley is more expensive, but if you know your local supplier the local support may be worth it.

Most manufacturer have small PLCs that would suit you, and almost all will communicate with your Wonderware.

Dl06

i just had a look at the Dl06... it is cheap and i guess should suite my application... i had one question though... what server should i use to communicate between the HMI and the DL06 and is it available.. If yes how much is it?...

I checked the wonderware website.. they have a automation direct server suite.. but that is very expensive...

Thanks

What drivers come with Intouch? The serial ports on the DL06 can be set up for Direct Net, K Sequence, or Modbus RTU.

K Sequence is proprietary to Automation Direct. Direct Net is in the public domain and is also known as GE Fanuc CCM and TI Hostlink. Modbus RTU is widely available. It's the closest thing there is to a universal serial protocol for serial PLC communications.

My favorite for small projects of this sort are the AutomationDirect.com products. Most models have Modbus RTU support, which means they can communicate with your SCADA software. The DL-06 looks like a good fit. They are very cost effective.

The MicrLogix series from Allen Bradley is more expensive, but if you know your local supplier the local support may be worth it.

Most manufacturer have small PLCs that would suit you, and almost all will communicate with your Wonderware.

The CLICK PLC from Automation Direct also has ModBus RTU. If you have the drivers, this is most likely your cheapest alternative. I am currently doing a project with my first one, and have found it to be a rather surprising unit for the price! It is priced like a smart relay, but has so much more functionality.