ABB PLCs, opinions?

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
We were offered the ABB PLCs.
It seems that ABB decided around 1 year ago to fight harder for the PLC market. They have launched the "eCo", a low budget PLC.
We were delighted with the SD card reader, the configurable I/O modules (you can configure each point as DI or AI, for example), the software license (Codesys, one fee, unlimited copies and upgrades), same software for all the PLC line, the offline simulator, the electronics separate from I/O points in the I/O modules, etc.

Any experience with ABB?
Any comments on Codesys?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi There, can only comment on CoDeSys programming software. I have used this with other platforms, Bachmann, Moeller. The software is easy to use and has all the standard formats, ie,LAD/FBD/STL. Above all its FREE.

Thank you Vernon.
I'm more concerned about the hardware part, though. So far what I've read on Internet has been good reviews about Codesys. But, the ABB version of Codesys is not free. They charge like $2.000 for the license (one time fee, free copies and upgrades), and includes a PLC. Actually they sell it as a kit (PM554-STAKIT 1x CPU PM554-T with ABB CR-E 24/0.75 power supply, 1x TK503 programming cable, 1x PS501 promotion CD, 1x E-learning DVD, 1x simulator, 1 screwdriver).
I haven't receive a OEM price for the "eCo" processor, but the list price is around $350.

One of the things that discourages me is the fact that so few people talk about ABB plcs in this forum (and other forums). I don't want to depend exclusively on their tech support, and there should be a reason for them to be not popular as other brands. Maybe they are not as good as the other kids on the block...

Why ABB would charge us a fee for Codesys, since it is free?
Do every manufacturer charge for its proprietary version of Codesys?
Could anybody shred some light on this?

I believe they charge for device files, not the programming enviroment. Even if you can program Festo and ABB (+lot more) on same CoDeSys, you need files that codesys uses to compile the program to machine code.

I know Festo provides their version of CoDeSys with their PLC but im not sure its free (i think it is).

Hmmm...
350 USD for a CPU. Has onboard i/o. But no ethernet port.
It would not be for me. Ethernet is the new must-have.

Apart from that, when deciding a new PLC, rather than letting it depend on the first salesguy that happen to step in through the door, I would go out and make my own little survey. I would look at all the possible PLC brands that could potentially be my platform for the next 10 years.

Hmmm...
350 USD for a CPU. Has onboard i/o. But no ethernet port.
It would not be for me. Ethernet is the new must-have.
I agree with the advantage of having Ethernet port, but I don't see it as a must-have, not yet (think about Micrologix 1200 & 1500, DL06, DL205, ...). This CPU can have a SD card drive for less than $40 (and your customer can receive the PLC from you in a file and download it to the SD without any special software.)

Apart from that, when deciding a new PLC, rather than letting it depend on the first salesguy that happen to step in through the door, I would go out and make my own little survey. I would look at all the possible PLC brands that could potentially be my platform for the next 10 years.

That's why I posted this question here. This forum is a GREAT source of information.

(think about Micrologix 1200 & 1500, DL06, DL205, ...).
The newest ML1100 and ML1400 have ethernet. I wouldnt consider ML1200 or ML1500 for a number of reasons.
ADs DL06 and DL205 have a low-cost add-on ethernet module.
I think that for ABB AC500 you have to purchase the CPU with ethernet. There is no add-on module.

Try to define your requirements.
Then see what people have to say.

Hi Elcan,

I work for Bosch Rexroth, which also uses the CodeSys kernal for the PLC portion of our software. We charge list price of about $500 for the a software suite that configures all our products - drives, PLCs, I/O and some HMI functionality. Part of the charge is because the manufacturers do put some of their own tweaks in.

We had 50% growth in PLC sales last year. Initial impressions for our software tend to be somewhat negative because it functions differently than say RSLogix, but after a project or 2 under their belts, most come to appreciate the software. An the knowledge is trabsferable - the other 64 users of Codesys have a similar look and feel, allowing you to jump right in

If ABB meets your specs, I would encourage you to check them out, despite the lack of mindshare here. As the product manager for yet another company trying to gain traction in the crowded US market, I can sympathize w/ ABB. I'm sure their hardware is good, probably even superb, in order to try and get a competitive advantge of the established players - that's certainly one approach we've tried.

Good Luck!

SteinCollector,
Thank you for your comments!
If ABB had a bigger market share, it would be a strong competitor, because their PLCs have many neat features.
I wish I had more feedback from people from this forum, but probably not many use ABB PLCs. Only one ABB PLC user posted a question this week, and I asked his feedback, but he didn't respond.
I'm willing to give ABB a try, but it has to be a small project near us, and they would have to negotiate that high upfront cost.

I worked on an ABB AC500 about 6 months ago. I t is still working OK.
Only issues in my mind... 1) You need the original source code if you want to get online to a running plc... you cannot just plug a laptop in and suck out the program... There is, however an option to save the source code onto a memory card in the plc... cards cost extra.
2) CodeSys claims to have 5 editors, but the Ladder one is very very basic. It seems the whole thing is geared towards "Structured Text"
3) Ethernet, my PLC had a built in port, but I have also seen ones with a separate ethernet comms module (CM577) mounted to the left of the cpu.

Thanks Alan!
You are the first to give some feedback on ABB PLCs...

Hi Elcan,

I work at a Security Printing plant and all our German manufactured machines run on ABB PLC's.

Althought we don't have the mentioned newer models yet, I can find no fault with other ABB systems - we even have a (still) working ABB system installed in 1979!

As SteinCollector said, once you get used to the language it's quite friendly to use.

I don't know about the US, but I know a number of plants here
in Malta using ABB PLC's (mostly German manufactured machines).

Hi Elcan

I have worked with the ABB AC500-PM571

The ABB support have promised me that the AC500-eCo work just like its big brother. If that is the case go for it :nodi:

Originally Posted by Elcan
I'm more concerned about the hardware part, though.

I have not found any problems. Is there some thing special you are concerned about ?

Originally Posted by AlanSmith
but the Ladder one is very very basic.

My work colleague have had some issues with ladder. I mainly work in FBD and not found any problems.

And i love the small HMI.

I agree with JesperMP, Ethernet is a must have. Lets face it, serial communications just plain sucks. I guess if the machine will never have the need for communications you MIGHT justify it to save a few bucks, but the price between an ethernet / serial PLC is not that much anyway.