Ethernet Remote I/O

Keystone

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for some recommendations. I need one relay output in a remote location. I have a ControlLogix processor with an Ethernet card that will handle the logic for the application. I am looking for an integrated I/O module that the ControlLogix can control over Ethernet. I know about AB Point I/O but it would be about $700, I am trying to find something simpler and more cost effective for this app.

Any help would be appreciated.

How "remote" are you talking about ?

What will be your communication method ?

Why does the relay have to be in the remote location ?

If you're going to lay a comms cable, then why not just lay a two-wire cable from your PLC panel, where a relay can be driven by one of your existing outputs.

Daba,
Thanks for you questions. The "remote" location is about 1/2 mile away.

We currently have a fiber optic Ethernet line running to the location and have the ability to break the control comms on to a separate v-lan.

We need the relay to actuate a piece of equipment located in that area. The equipment does not have a PLC, only microprocessor with dry contact inputs. (No safety concerns with the equipment either).

As far as running more cable - we already have the fiber laid and it goes under several roads and pads.

Thanks for the feed back; I am always open for different paths to the same goal.

If you can address it by IP address and can manage text based XML, the web-relays work for remote control.

I've only used them in web based, manual control mode, but there is the text option.

http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/
29c2ets.gif

Look at Opto22. They have cheap IO (prices on their website) and it integrates great with ControlLogix. They also have lifetime warranty on their products

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the input. For this solution we I am going to go with the web relay (my IT dept is doing a web app. which is how it all started in the first place)

I the future I am going to take a second look at the Opto22 & Beckhoff remote I/O stuff looks like they make some nice modular stuff.

Take a look at Wago's remote I/O products also. I recently had an application requiring 5VDC remote I/O. The system currently had a bunch of Point I/O, but Point I/O doesn't have any modules that support 5VDC, barring contact modules of course, which I didn't want. I originally found the Opto22 stuff, but later went with the Wago. The Wago also integrates directly on EthernetI/P, but their form factor and field power options seemed better then Opto22s. Of course, both are much cheaper than PointI/O. When I actually got the stuff, it assembled nicely, was easy to configure, and worked the first time.

Given the cost savings, I am considering using it in future projects instead of Flex or Point. IMHO, keeping the Logix5000 programming environment while saving some $$ on I/O seems like a win-win situation.