Red Lion DSPGT questions

John Soltesz

I have a few questions about using a Red Lion DSPGT possibly on an AB MLgx of some kind. I'll know more on PLC models next week. We are looking at a degreaser system with what I am told is an AB and a Panelview(+?). Our process guys want to do some data logging. I know the DSP can do data logging internally and it looks like the minimum way to go. It will also give a remote HMI for viewing data. All great. What I would like to know is accessing the PLC through the DSP via Ethernet to our plant wide iHistorian 3.0. The iHistorian server has RSLinx OEM active. If the RSLinx can get to the PLC I should be able to get the data. It is my understanding that if the ML is serial the DSP can allow a path via the Ethernet.
So, can the RSLinx OEM/iHistorian get to a serial ML via the DSP ethernet?
Is there any kind of built-in security by using the DSP? Or should we stick in a router? This is all within a corporate LAN behind firewalls so the concern is low but still there.
Thanks,
John

You are going to get more functionality for your dollar with the RedLion Data Station Plus. (I'm moving away from PV+ terminals myself)

There is a built in security function in the DSP. This will permit only authorized parties from logging into the DSP remotely for whatever function you want protected. 8 users plus an admin user.

It also has a "port sharing" functionality. Crimson 2.0 manual page 34. This will allow a serial port to be made available over a TCP port... you supply the port number.

Can RSLinx Classic see the ML processor on the serial port? This I have not tried, but I think it will work. You will probably need another piece of software to make your chosen ethernet TCP port look like a COM port so that Linx can use it as a RS-232 device.
See www.hw-group.com for a freebie.
This was in the Crimson 2.0 manual too, so I bet it works.

Download a copy of Crimson 2.0 and get familiar with it. Its a little different, but very powerful.

Like killer mentioned, we have port sharing to allow you to access the PLC's serial port through Ethernet. However, when that is happening, the DSP is no longer communicating to the PLC. To have your historian access the ML's data, you would need to use OPC to access the DSP's tags (which would be mapped to the PLC registers).

Regards,
Dan

Like killer mentioned, we have port sharing to allow you to access the PLC's serial port through Ethernet. However, when that is happening, the DSP is no longer communicating to the PLC. To have your historian access the ML's data, you would need to use OPC to access the DSP's tags (which would be mapped to the PLC registers).

Regards,
Dan
OK, the OPCWorx would help isolate the PLC and we don't really need to access it from the LAN. The OPCWorx would reside on the iHistorian sever like other OPC software. I would just need to have a tag for the PLC variable in the DSPGT.
Would a single OPCWorx install work with multiple DSPGT's on the LAN (only one data historian)? That item seems to be one item without a price on-line. My guess typical $200-$800?
Thanks,
John

Yes, a single OPCWORX could get data from as many DSPs as you need. The OPCWORX license is for a single PC install, but you can use it to access multiple units, and it can be accessed by more than 1 OPC client.

The G3 OPCWORX license is $895. If you already have a Modbus OPC server, you could configure the DSP as a Modbus slave, and use that to get the PLC's data. That just requires a bit more work as far as cross referencing the PLC registers to Modbus registers.

Regards,
Dan