American Made PLC's other than AB

MBourgeois

I have been tasked with the design of a small/moderate automation project (100 digital points and about 40 analog points with 2 HMI interfaces) for a federally funded ferry for the Texas Department of Transportation. Being that it is federally funded, the spec stipulates an American made PLC. All of my experience is with Siemens and WAGO (German). Are there any other American made PLC's other than Allen Bradley, which I would like to avoid.

Thanks,

Mike Bourgeois

Very little of anything is American made anymore. GE is an American company (for now), so maybe a GE Fanuc PLC?

Thanks for all the responses. We are an ABB OEM so I will ask about them. I found that Cutler Hammer is an American made PLC manufacturer. Anyone have any experience with them?

At the risk of opening yet another A-B bashing thread on the Forum, I have to ask why you want to avoid A-B ?

Using A-B would fulfill both the letter and intent of the funding grant requirement, as well as provide a hardware system that was locally supportable once you're done with the project.

Last edited:
If the Federal Government requires American made PLCs.
Shouldn't they have a list of acceptable brands/models?
Just my two cents worth.

GE Fanuc are U.S. made (North Carolina) or at least they were a couple of years ago. I remember reading recently that Allen Bradley and Siemens were the only PLC's that were certified for marine use. I saw that in something that had to do with the offshore oil drilling rigs. That could be a factor to consider for a ferry project.

Steve

Steve,

You are correct that Siemens, Allen Bradley, and now WAGO are the only PLC's that are ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) Type Approved, the North American regulatory agency for most marine applications. However, this project does not require an ABS certification.

I have found that Red Lion, manufactured in York, Pennsylvania also make PLC equipment. I currently use their HMIs.

At the risk of fanning the flames, if you decide to go A-B, I would make very sure that everything you plan to use is US made. I know that our distributor told us the ML1100 and ML1400 are outsourced to Asia, as well as the new PV Component. Not sure about the rest of the lines.