omron CP1L Sysmac enquiry

jolio ST

Hello Guys

After years out of the industry dealing with PLC programming, I'm back with one project with a very rusty mind.
Well actually, I have very little understanding of the new CX-programmer ver8.0, having only used ver.6 last time, and I seldom did omron related projects last time, so I badly need your help on some info.
I was provided with a Omron CP1L Sysmac PLC, which I was told could have frequency output in the form of pulses. I need to know how accurate is that? and If I were to start DI/DO and FO addressing, does it start the same like RS logix type?
And I have a sequence where after the count reached 10, to trigger a "jam" to stop the increase of the frequency output, what should the address of the counter bit be? like for example "CNT 1002 10". so should the NC bit address be 1002?

Anyone to assist me?
Thanks!

Regards
Sherine T

I can help with a few things but not the pulses.
CX-P V8 is very similar to CX-P V6 with the addition of function blocks, SFC etc. There are also a lot more short cuts you can program. Strength of the program.
The CP1L is an awesome little beast - same function set as the CJ1 and CS1.
Input addressing starts at channel '0' and uses 12 bits only. The first input channel would be addressed as 0.00 to 0.11, the next channel 1.00 to 1.11 etc.
Output addressing starts at channel '100' and only uses 8 bits. The first output channel would be addressed 100.00 to 100.07, the next channel 101.00 to 101.07 etc.
Similar addressing to the CPM series of PLCs.
Do you have the manuals for the PLC? If not I can possibly direct you to them. They are quite large - particularly the programming manual to cover all the functions in the PLC. Do you have the starter manuals for CX-P? They should have installed on the computer when the program installed.
Windows 'Start', 'Omron', 'CX-One', 'Introduction Guide Library' should find the CX-One starter manuals. They are quite extensive and very good. You will also be pleased to know that the online help in CX-One has been improved immensely.
Hope this helps.

CP1H/1L positioning is much better than in Logix.
It allows to change any motion parameter on the fly.
What means how accurate? It generates specified number of pulses.

Thanks Bob! I will take note on the addressing.:site:

Sergie, The pulses it generates as output, how is the addressing for this output? is it via one of its A/Os?

I encountered something confusing when I tried to use the CNTR function. It stated that the CNTR FB have an incremental input, decremental input and a reset input. so where is this reset input located. I will need it in case an e-stop occured, then the counting can be reset back to 0.
As shown in the instruction: CNTR01
As shown in the program: CNTR02
I'm actually doing up a very basic program using only a start-latch-stop-release button, up and down pushbutton, an e-stop and just one output in pulses; but this is something new, I have never done pulses output before, wondering if it is the same as giving a 0-65535 or 0-32767 kind of o/p or something else?
Anyone with more knowhow on Omron?

cntr01.JPG cntr02.JPG

Why bother with FBs? I would only ever use them for complex maths where ST was an advantage.
Used FBs once and never again with the above exception. Too much mucking about quite frankly.
CNTR is quite easy to program in ladder.

I think that Jolio just used an incorrect terminology, the shots he posted are the ladder version, and also in ladder.

In the CNTR, as you can see in the manual shot he has attached, the top connection is the incrementing input, the middle one is the decrementing input, with the bottom one being the reset input.

In your example, the counter will only increment on the rising edge of stseq, will decrement upup is True, and dndn is false, and will be reset when dndn is true, and upup is false.

I think this will help?

My apologies - I saw FB and assumed FB - that is not an FB just a function.
Function operation attached.
Just be careful, the PLC defaults to BCD for timers and counters - I have used #9999 in the counter and that is it's maximum value without changing all timers and counters in the PLC to binary.
To change that, right click on the PLC symbol, select properties and change all timers and counters to binary.
You will then have to use CNTRX and the value will need to be preceded by & for binary. EG &32768. If you use #12345 for example, you will create an error as # is the BCD selector. You cannot just use the number 32768 but must use &32768 or the compiler will report an error. The left hand side of the rung will also have a red line showing to indicate error.

CNTR.jpg

Lostcontrol, I think I'm beginning to understand what you are driving at. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
And also Thank you very much Bob! Sorry I used a wrong form to explain.

Omron Manuals

Can i have those omron manuals? or the wesite for the online help for omron? i havn't purchased the cx one but i am planning to do so soon...

Here is a good place to start - it is the global industrial automation site with links to sites all over the world.
You may have to join to get the manuals but that is OK.
http://www.ia.omron.com/

Lostcontrol, I think I'm beginning to understand what you are driving at. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
And also Thank you very much Bob! Sorry I used a wrong form to explain.

No problem, come back and ask if you have any more question.

If you need anymore help with the pulse outputs, we should be able to help also. (y)

Hello Guys

I tried a mock up. I can't figured out why I am unable to trigger the counter to count up or down. I enclosed what I had for the counter portion (rung 3). But I tested the pulse output (by forcing the values to the pulse frequency @ port #0, mode #0), so currently this part can work. I will try if I can do it to another port, which will be to another output. wait for the good/bad news 🤞🏻

Can someone point out to me where I done wrong for the counter part?
Thanks!!

try01.JPG

Lets start with the counter first, what is the conditions of start, is this maintained, or momentary? If this is momentary, then the counter will only be able to function whilst the start contact is true, as well as your startseq.

The 3rd input is a reset - I would assume close to reset and so should be open to run.
You can check all this in the vastly improved help in CX-P V8.
If you do not want to reset, I would 'roll my own' using the increment and decrement functions - using ++B (BCD increment) or --B (BCD decrement) with @ infront of the ++B and --B so that the count is only performed on the leading edge of the signal. With increment and decrement functions if you do not use the @ symbol the numbers will continue to increment or decrement at the rate of one per scen.
The problem I see with CNTR is that once you turn on the reset the counter will reset to 5 or 0 - not sure which one as I never use the function.

Last edited: