Synchorise of D.C drive with A.C Drive

Pramod Patil

Hi Everybody,
How can i synchorise D.C drive with A.C drive . Isolation is must or is it possible to give analog O/P of D.C drive to Analog I/P to A.C directly ? shall anyone help me.

Regards
Pramod Patil

You can send the analog speed output of the DC drive to the analog speed input of the AC drive and, if either of those is optically isolated, you will have the isolation you desire.

One word of caution tho. Analog outputs and inputs are generated by digital-to-analog convertors and there is some error when this is done. Some drives have only 10 bit conversion while some have as high as 14 bit.

A more accurate way to get a speed follower signal with isolation would be to use a separate encoder on the DC machine to provide the input speed for the AC machine, or vice versa. There is very little error in this method but it costs more.

A third way to get two drives to track speed together is to provide a speed reference that goes to the input of both drives. That way both are following the same signal. This isn't really a follower scheme but the end result is similar. In this case, the tracking error is whatever the input A/D conversion is.

Thanks for suggestion
You can send the analog speed output of the DC drive to the analog speed input of the AC drive and, if either of those is optically isolated, you will have the isolation you desire.

One word of caution tho. Analog outputs and inputs are generated by digital-to-analog convertors and there is some error when this is done. Some drives have only 10 bit conversion while some have as high as 14 bit.

A more accurate way to get a speed follower signal with isolation would be to use a separate encoder on the DC machine to provide the input speed for the AC machine, or vice versa. There is very little error in this method but it costs more.

A third way to get two drives to track speed together is to provide a speed reference that goes to the input of both drives. That way both are following the same signal. This isn't really a follower scheme but the end result is similar. In this case, the tracking error is whatever the input A/D conversion is.

how about using an encoder on the dc drive and make the ac a follower using the encoder input. Sew has a good system for that

Thru my experiences, DC motors do not run as linear as AC motors. One option is to use the tach generator signal thru a converter to 0-10vdc or 4-20ma to get a positive feedback of the speed if it is critical for them to be as close as possible without a compensator.

Electrical isolation depends on the characteristics of each individual drives control circuits. Most modern drives have their control circuitry isolated from any high potential source, but that isn't guaranteed. When in doubt, use an isolator, BUT...

What are you trying to achieve? How are these two motors connected together physically? By a web Extensible? Inextensible? By a shaft? Do they have the same gearing to the process?

If absolute synchronization (or as close as physically possible) is required, you can hardly go wrong with letting a small analog servo controller handle it in an electronic line-shafting mode.

I followed a signal on a ac driven machine with a mechanical drive and Have an AC inverter follow the main drive and stay in Time without error. SEW Eurodrive. It has been in operation for 5 years running 24/5